Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cost of DIY E-Locker Swap

Re: Cost of DIY E-Locker Swap

Oh yeah, I know. Lowest I guess they come is 4.30's (unless I'm wrong) and I'll be going 4.88's or 5.29's.
    94/2.4/5spd/261/331250GeolanderMT

mine is 4.10. i kept stock gearing because my next set of tires may be 32 instead of 33,
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I just swapped out an e-locker third yesterday. The rear end locked up, so I thought she blew the ring and pinion. Turned out to be one of the spider gears shear off at the spline end of the axle. Really weird break, once I get time I plan to tear it down and see if anything else may have caused the failure, if not I'll rebuild it and keep it for a spare. Now I have 2 extra one's..... a 4.10 and a 4.30.......
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceTS
    Now I have 2 extra one's..... a 4.10 and a 4.30.......
    So if I can't find any, I know who's got them all
    94/2.4/5spd/261/331250GeolanderMT

BTW it wasn't my rig that blew the third, but a friend. This is the first time I have ever seen a spider gear break in this way, all the teeth are fine, it simply twised off at the axle....
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Bumping this thread because I have an elocker on the way to me and I've got a couple questions

1. I have heard that you don't have to add the extra weld metal and can get away without it, is this true?

2. Who wants to help me get it installed before pismo?
    My signature

I'll help you, come on out. I'll even do all the welding, grinding, drilling and tapping.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

i welded a little, i dont think you can get away without it
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

likewise. i really think you need to weld. im positive there should be someone up there willing to help you out on that.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Bumping this thread because I have an elocker on the way to me and I've got a couple questions

1. I have heard that you don't have to add the extra weld metal and can get away without it, is this true?

2. Who wants to help me get it installed before pismo?
    For the love of god install your sliders!
    Congrats on your purchase, I am presuming you got them from Mark here in PA?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast