Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cost of DIY E-Locker Swap

Re: Cost of DIY E-Locker Swap

An i should be reading up on this myself, i mean i do have an e-locker on the way myself....

RIGHT WAB!!!

I wasn't going to add the welds to my housing, but once I had the notch cut and cleaned I changed my mind. Had a local guy throw a bead on the edge for $25.00.

In this pic you can see how thin it gets, and where I had the welding done on the outside of the long studs...Keep in mind that mine is the front housing...the rear may be slightly different

1995 4runner--SAS'd and armored--GONE

1998 4Runner--under construction--GONE

2003 4runner...the new project

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    I'll help you, come on out. I'll even do all the welding, grinding, drilling and tapping.
    Thanks Steve, I just called him and changed the shipping address to your house. I'll be over this weekend. YOu can build me a front bumper too while we're there.

Avy, I'll get the sliders on eventually. My rockers are pretty safe out there at the dunes. Buy your freakin plain ticket before gas skyrockets again! Yes, I did buy that one from Mark in PA. Couldn't pass up the price for it with a brand new set of 5.29's!

Marc, thanks for the pic, that helped a bunch. Looks like I'll definately add the extra metal. I know a guy who will do it for me.
    My signature

I would not recommend doing it without adding the weld to increase the sealing surface.

Keep in mind you can sell your existing non-elocked V6 third for $150+ to the rock crawling guys. The V6 third is an upgrade over the 4 cylinder one.

Thanks Ken, I agree, after looking at Marc's pic, I can definately see why it is needed.

I think I already have a buyer for my rear third and front diff already. Helps that I have factory 4.88's.
    My signature

only thing i would have done different on mine, the clearances for the ring gear, i would have made bigger, its nearly impossible to get mine out and requires one to lift and one to turn the flange to get the gear in the perfect alignment to get it out...
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Sean, did you just clearance them to the size of the gasket and wish you had made them slightly bigger?
    My signature

yea, i tried my best to get them as big as needed with out taking out too much metal, but in hindsight i should have taken out more. it doesnt need to be "taller" (as the axle sits on the vehicle, the slots need to be wider.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    An i should be reading up on this myself, i mean i do have an e-locker on the way myself....

RIGHT WAB!!!
    No, I threw them away. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
    Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun

RIGHT WAB!!!
    No, I threw them away. Sorry.

:big dramatic: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooo...o.o.o...o.o.o.o......o.......

I have a weak heart went it come to my Tess (and the $$ I spend on her) so don't play too much lol!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast