Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Writeup: Changing Your Front Differential, Rear Differential, etc. Fluids

Re: Writeup: Changing Your Front Differential, Rear Differential, etc. Fluids

I don't think you should need anti-seize since you are filling the differential with a lubricant and why risk compromising the diff fluid's viscosity?
    [glow=blue,2,300]2002 4WD TOYOTA TACOMA "TURTLE TACO"[/glow]  <All the goods listed here>

Something else to add:

get to the gym before attempting to pump the 90w gear oil in. that rear diff. seemed like an eternity to fill! I forgot to snag new washer/gaskets, so I'm going to swing by the dealership and get those, and "quickly" change 'em all out and replace the oz or two that escapes with my leftover 90w.

Oh, and I don't know where in the heck a 6 point 24mm socket can be had!? I tried sears, home depot, napa, a local fastener store, a pawn shop... Anything short of calling a snap-on rep, and it can't be had. BTW, my 12pt rounded off the rear diff fill bolt as well as some others' bolts. (I need a new one of those too).
    1996 SR5 4Runner
    3.4 5speed 4x4 165k

Quote Originally Posted by Nuthuts96
    Oh, and I don't know where in the heck a 6 point 24mm socket can be had!? I tried sears, home depot, napa, a local fastener store, a pawn shop... Anything short of calling a snap-on rep, and it can't be had. BTW, my 12pt rounded off the rear diff fill bolt as well as some others' bolts. (I need a new one of those too).
    Sears
    Land Cruiser

I know Bob already mentioned it, but I just wanted to say it again. ALWAYS TAKE FILL BOLT OFF FIRST!!! I've heard some horror stories about people that didnt' do that.

I got one at Napa, then I proceded to Mill off the first 1/8" of the socket (where its chamfer is). The drains on my 86 have low profile heads, in a recess. This gave more surface area for the socket to grab the plug.

Quote Originally Posted by cooldry
    I know Bob already mentioned it, but I just wanted to say it again. ALWAYS TAKE FILL BOLT OFF FIRST!!! I've heard some horror stories about people that didnt' do that.
    IF you forget this, and cant get the fill bolt off, (which you can always get the fill bolt off, puta pair of channel locks on them, with a pipe, and turn (at least for the rear diff)) you CAN fill through the breather, though i would not recommend it unless you have some way of measuring the correct amount of fluid.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Sears
    My sears is always out of them, I picked up a nice one at Auto Zone though.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12