Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyota gets greener with new diesels, hybrids and PHEV test fleet

Toyota gets greener with new diesels, hybrids and PHEV test fleet

Toyota's turning up the heat on its already-boiling environmental image by putting more effort into sustainable programs. At a reception held for the media tonight after the first press day of the 2008 Detroit Auto Show, Toyota President Katsuaki Watanabe declared the automaker's continuing green push. Among the most imminent of the many initiatives mentioned, a new clean diesel V8 will be coming soon for the Tundra and Sequoia. Many have been clamoring for such a power source for those vehicles, though Toyota did not commit to an on-sale date. Toyota's also putting more effort into plug-in hybrids and will be expanding its PHEV test fleet.

Those aforementioned plug-ins will be equipped with lithium-ion batteries, and Toyota has begun planning with partner Panasonic to expand its battery operations to include an automotive li-ion production line. Throwing down the gauntlet, Watanabe closed the event by enticing the media to return to Detroit next year, where two new hybrids will be unveiled. The two new hybrid models, one for Lexus and one for Toyota, are part of the Japanese automaker's goal of selling one million hybrids per year within the next ten years. It's starting to look like the Green Arena is where the next smackdown is headed now that the unbridled horsepower race has been choked off by the ever-looming new CAFE regs.

For the last several years Toyota has held an annual get together following the close of the first day of media previews at the Detroit Auto Show. This year's shin-dig brought with it several surprises. Toyota President Katsuaki Watanabe made an unannounced appearance and delivered about a ten minute address to the gathered crowd of automotive hacks. He reviewed Toyota's commitment to sustainable mobility. Toyota plans to continue developing a variety of advanced technologies including hybrids, clean diesels and hydrogen fuel cells. They plan to work on and promote a changes in transportation such as mass transit, mixed mobility, and intelligent highway systems. Mixed mobility includes ideas like the iGo personal transporters that Toyota has been showing in the last couple of years. Fueling systems for future vehicles such as hydrogen fueling stations and recharging kiosks will be developed and promoted by Toyota in partnerships with governments, academia and other energy and transportation companies.

One important element for Toyota is developing new technologies in-house rather purchasing or licensing from outside companies. In this way they can learn the lessons of the development and work faster. Among the new power-trains Toyota plans to introduce in the near future are a clean diesel engine for the large Tundra pickup and Sequoia SUV. Toyota Communications VP was unable to confirm if the engine recently introduced in overseas market Land Cruisers would be the basis for the US engine but that seems likely. No on-sale date was available for the new diesel although Miller did confirm that the new fuel economy requirements were part of the decision. With all three US automakers introducing light duty diesels to their trucks next year, Toyota surely won't want to be far behind.

Continue reading what else Watanabe had to say after the jump.

[Source: Toyota]

Watanabe reiterated that hybrids remain and important part of Toyota's plans and next years show would see the launch of two new dedicated hybrids, one each for the Toyota and Lexus brands. The Toyota will likely be the next generation of Prius. The year after that the company will introduce a test fleet of several hundred plug-in hybrids using lithium ion battery packs. The PHEVs will go governmental, academic and commercial fleets in Asia, Europe and US for large scale field testing before eventually being made available to consumers. The lithium batteries will be coming from Toyota's joint venture with Panasonic which produces the current NiMH batteries used in the company's hybrids.

Watanabe also confirmed that feasibility studies have begun to add an automotive lithium battery line to the Panasonic EV plant in Japan. Irv Miller also wasn't able to tell us what type of lithium chemistry Toyota and Panasonic are persuing. Watanabe emphasized that Toyota is following multiple development paths and spends an average of over $1 million per hour on research and development. One path Toyota likely won't be following anytime soon is large hybrid trucks such as GM's Two-Modes. According to Miller, the current Toyota hybrid system doesn't really scale well to such large high torque applications. Instead the diesel engines will be used to provide the efficiency improvements needed in that segment. Whatever Toyota ultimately comes up with it sounds like we're in for some interesting times ahead.
    Full Article Here

Is this a sign of hope for a diesel vehicle besides the Tundra/Sequoia? A diesel sedan or even a 4runner/taco would be pretty sweet!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Re: Toyota gets greener with new diesels, hybrids and PHEV test fleet

I dunno.

While I'm happy, I can think of several members here who will probably have to remove all of the Toyota emblems from their vehicles, since this smacks of caring about the environment.

I know, I know, I'm a no good dirty hippy scumbag for not wanting to continue throwing my hard earned dollars at terrorist regimes, because that could be construed as "green".

On a lighter note, I am hoping that Toyota produces more "plug in" models. There is even talk of "battery stations" where conceivably, as you get low on juice, you can pull into a place, where, in roughly the time it takes you to fill your tank with gas, you would replace the battery packs with a charged one, and away you go, while the station pockets your 20 bucks, and recharges the pack.

There is talk of 250-300 miles per pack, as well as home recharge ability. Basically, you could recharge at night on your commuter, and if you were going on a trip, you could exchange packs.

-I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

I want to see a hybrid Matrix. That'll be my next vehicle.

ike, if you are referring to me, then you couldn't be any more wrong. i care about the environment and this is definitely a step in the right direction. i do what i can to do my part, but what i despise is when i have some hippie liberal shoving his global warming "we are doomed" mantra down my throat. i agree that we could have done a better job as a species in taking care of the planet. we still have a long way to go to sustainable life as a whole. however, to say that the oceans are going to rise 27' in the next 10 years if we all don't immediately start riding bikes and consume zero fossil fuels while china and india consume at astronomical rates is bunk and i call a spade when i see it.

kudos for toyota. i would love to own a diesel/hybrid that i could plug into the grid at night for a recharge. that would be the ultimate drivetrain wrapped up in 4runner sheetmetal.
    -andy

I find this particular quote interesting:

Among the most imminent of the many initiatives mentioned, a new clean diesel V8 will be coming soon for the Tundra and Sequoia.
    Anybody know where this diesel V8 may come from? Will Toyota build a new diesel engine specifically for the Tundra HD? We have seen the Tundra concept with the Hino I6, which really made a lot of sense. Hino does not build any V8 diesels, just the 5L 4 cylinder and the 7.68L I6.

Perhaps they don't want something as small as a 5L or as big as a 7.68L and are willing to build a dedicated engine within the 6-7L range to compete with the big 3. I dunno. I think it would be great if Toyota could offer both Hino engines in their trucks. The 5L in the Sequoia/half ton Tundra and the 7.68L in the HD Tundras.

I ran a quick google search and came up with this:
    http://www.autospies.com/news/Toyota...sel-V8-s-8577/

I would really hate to see Toyota source an engine from GM. It would be interesting to see a GM (or Izuzu) engine in a Toyota to say the least.

Anyways, that's just my thought on that. I vote for Toyota sticking with the Hino I6 (and maybe I4). I'd take an I6 with a 6spd over anything else any day.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by bamachem
    ike, if you are referring to me, then you couldn't be any more wrong. i care about the environment and this is definitely a step in the right direction. i do what i can to do my part, but what i despise is when i have some hippie liberal shoving his global warming "we are doomed" mantra down my throat. i agree that we could have done a better job as a species in taking care of the planet. we still have a long way to go to sustainable life as a whole. however, to say that the oceans are going to rise 27' in the next 10 years if we all don't immediately start riding bikes and consume zero fossil fuels while china and india consume at astronomical rates is bunk and i call a spade when i see it.

kudos for toyota. i would love to own a diesel/hybrid that i could plug into the grid at night for a recharge. that would be the ultimate drivetrain wrapped up in 4runner sheetmetal.
    I was referring to everyone who jumps in the GW threads and bashes it as a myth and all that. Everytime I jump in and point out that really, we are just talking about cleaning up the planet, it is met with contempt and derision.

My comments were not meant as personal, nor to be offensive. I'm just calling a spade a spade too.

I appreciate your opinion, and think you are right to a certain extent. The media has completely screwed this issue up. Happy to discuss further, but not here, as we are pretty far off topic already.

Also, to reiterate, not trying to offend you.

no offense taken. i just don't care for the "chicken little" approach to GW.

i would love to see toyota have a diesel/electric hybrid that could be plugged in to recharge.
    -andy

As would I. I hope it comes out in the next 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by AxleIke
    I hope it comes out in the next 4 years.
    Me too! I'm buying whichever comes out first; the PHEV Li-Ion Prius, or the hybrid Aptera.
    Scott
    2017 blue 4runner ORP / Shrockwork sliders, RCI skids, and a small pile of not-yet-installed bits.
    (Proud recipient of $22,000 in damage within the first five months of ownership. Darnit.)

Well, I'm not ever buying a prius. I will take one if its given to me, but I won't spend money on it. Its just too ugly. Not as bad as the new tundra, but close.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast