Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toyota gets greener with new diesels, hybrids and PHEV test fleet

Re: Toyota gets greener with new diesels, hybrids and PHEV test fleet

Quote Originally Posted by AxleIke
    Well, I'm not ever buying a prius.
    I just finished my budget for 2008; it looked something like $6,500 for gas alone. I can't say I care so much about looks. Besides, I've been working on brainwashing myself about the Prius appearance for a couple years. I was right with ya when it came out. My alternative wish vehicle is even trippier in appearance.
    Scott
    2017 blue 4runner ORP / Shrockwork sliders, RCI skids, and a small pile of not-yet-installed bits.
    (Proud recipient of $22,000 in damage within the first five months of ownership. Darnit.)

While my wife is deployed I have been driving her Prius. I simple could not stand the stock 15" rims/tires so I bought a set of Scion Tc 17's really cheap and sold the factory set for nearly the same cost. It helped in looks a lot IMO. Handles much better also. MPG did suffer some though. Down to a whopping 47MPG after the 17 when on from 49MPG.

She comes home in Feb and then it is back to DD'ing the Runner. Not a bad car at all though.
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

What's kinda interesting about all this is that it started with GM's Volt. GM seems to be going for broke, something I think they should have started quite a long time ago. Toyota is seeing GM and raising the pot. It good for us consumers!

Diesel hybrids have very large fuel economy potentials but also larger price tags. I think if fuel gets over 4 bucks a gallon and stays there people will be inclined to pay an extra $2-$4k for a diesel option in a hybrid.

Frank
    1985 FJ-60, 3FE, Hell Creek lift, 2009 H3 sold

Quote Originally Posted by elripster
    I think if fuel gets over 4 bucks a gallon and stays there people will be inclined to pay an extra $2-$4k for a diesel option in a hybrid.
    I think gas prices are pretty much going nowhere but up so it's only a matter of time at this point.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

MTL, I agree.

I was thinking about this today. It wasn't all that long ago Toyota joined the US automakers in congress fighting the mpg requirements. Any company that sells full sized vehicles is not really going to like this because it targets those vehicles and they have the highest profit margins.

I'm glad there is a movement towards sustainability, I just get a kick out of piecing the pieces of the puzzle together.

Frank
    1985 FJ-60, 3FE, Hell Creek lift, 2009 H3 sold

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12