Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clock fades to black?

Clock fades to black?

For some unknown reason, the clock on my '01 dash likes to disppear. It started several months ago, and would only fade to black for short periods of time. I could usually get it to come back by lightly tapping on it. But over time I had to tap on it harder and harder. After awhile it was just dark more than lit. I wrote it off to a loose connection and wasn't gonna worry about it till I dug into my antenna issues. About three weeks ago, I took most of the passenger side dash apart while replacing my broken power antenna with a Taco whip. In the midst of that, I had to disconnect the clock to remove the console facial. Once the Taco whip was complete, I made sure the clock contacts were clean and secure in hopes that would take care of it.

Whalla! Clock was back and didn't fade away. WRONG. A few days later it started again. Now it disappears immediately after startup and stays gone no matter what I do.

Anyone else seen this?
    -Scott<br />&#039;01 Black SR5 4x4 w/ Black Pearl&#039;s: Detroit Truetrac | Tundra/OME 890s w/ Tokico Trekmasters | SS Diff Drop/Panhard | Tundra rotors/calipers | Rear Diff Breather Extension | Hayden cooler | K&amp;N | ISR | Deckplate | Jet Black PC&#039;d LC 16x8&#039;s w/ LT265/75R16 Cooper S/T&#039;s

Re: Clock fades to black?

My clock was dead when I bought it (99 4runner). I thought it might have been the connection too, but it wasn't

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

yea, mine does the same (99 4runner) Im not to worried about it right now, got a clock on the stereo, and usually wear a watch.
    you can just replace the clock for about $70 heres a link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97...spagenameZWDVW
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

its crazy how expensive those clocks are
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Those LCDs are very simple (I used to work in the industry) and I bet there might be a way to take the clock apart and fix it internally, but without seeing any pics of it, I can't help you on the issue other than to say it's not likely the connection causing your problem. Best way to test this is to apply 12V to it and see if it turns on outside the truck (simple lawnmower battery works fine for testing). The other thing to look for is that these LCDs are backlit so if you look carefully you might see the LCD is still working but just doesn't have any light shining through it.

If your electronic troubleshooting skills are limited, your best bet is probably just to find a working one off ebay.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Yeah mine does the same. I work at a toyota dealership and it is still $150 my cost for a new one. . . I have a GPS with clock though so no biggie
    99 Toy 4Runner<br />Retrofitted elocker, lockrite up front<br />4:88s<br />35&#039;s with 2.5&quot; lift<br />Custom front bumper with Milemarker 8k pound winch

Mine has been dead now for a year - I attributed it to when I had the dash apart to install my in-dash video screen. It actually came back for 2 days last month and then has been gone again. I have been looking on car-part.com but wanted to know, which years use the same clock as the 98 4Runner
    <br />98 4Runner Limited<br />1999 Suzuki GSXR750 - Sold Apr/08

for sure 96-98 and most likely 99-02 (someone will need to confirm this). not sure if the taco clock is the same.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by 4LowLocked
    I have been looking on car-part.com but wanted to know, which years use the same clock as the 98 4Runner
    96-02's use the same clocks.

Well, I replaced the old clock with a used one I picked up from terminator2373. So I tore my old clock apart (I'll post pics when I get a chance). The long and short of it is, these don't appear to be fixable. I'm not a electronics whiz, but these don't appear to be your typical backlit LCDs. The LCD is sealed inside a gas tube, which is soldered to the circuit board. Seems the backlighting is actually more of a fluorescent type light rather bulb. There's a 35v capacitor at the lower right corner of the board which may be used to 'jump start' the fluorescent backlighting.
    -Scott<br />&#039;01 Black SR5 4x4 w/ Black Pearl&#039;s: Detroit Truetrac | Tundra/OME 890s w/ Tokico Trekmasters | SS Diff Drop/Panhard | Tundra rotors/calipers | Rear Diff Breather Extension | Hayden cooler | K&amp;N | ISR | Deckplate | Jet Black PC&#039;d LC 16x8&#039;s w/ LT265/75R16 Cooper S/T&#039;s

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly
    Well, I replaced the old clock with a used one I picked up from terminator2373. So I tore my old clock apart (I'll post pics when I get a chance). The long and short of it is, these don't appear to be fixable. I'm not a electronics whiz, but these don't appear to be your typical backlit LCDs. The LCD is sealed inside a gas tube, which is soldered to the circuit board. Seems the backlighting is actually more of a fluorescent type light rather bulb. There's a 35v capacitor at the lower right corner of the board which may be used to 'jump start' the fluorescent backlighting.
    Definately post some pics and I'll tell you if there is anything that can be done to repair it.
    I'm curious to see what one looks like torn down too (should be pretty easy).
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast