Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Running M/T tires on hard Ice

Running M/T tires on hard Ice

Hi Guys,

I have been searching around for an answer to this - all reviews I have found show "SNOW" in the ratings but none mention the readers thoughts on running tires on Ice. The crappy dueler HTs I have now do fine in snow as I'm more than sure an MT would do - but when there has been recent freezing rain (like today), I can just sit in 4hi on the skinny pedal and go now where fast in the front and to the passenger side curb in the rear while the tires spin. Braking is even worse - I think I lost a filling from all the ABS vibrations.

I'm pretty sure I will be picking up a set of 265/75/16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts to run on my truck this year. But the reason for my question is if these tires are not good on freezing rain style ice or very slick road ice (some may call black ice), I am going to have to delay other parts of my build up in order to afford a second set of tires and rims for next winter (probably dedicated winter tires if I'm going to spend the money)

I should point out, that total days like this a year are less than 20 in my area - usually no longer than 1 day at a time before the horde of street salters make their way through town

Thanks for any help you can give
    <br />98 4Runner Limited<br />1999 Suzuki GSXR750 - Sold Apr/08

Re: Running M/T tires on hard Ice

for that amount of time, and only 20 days a year, I would say drive carefully, and avoid the roads if you can, i wouldn't buy tires for that...
    and I dont beleive many M/T's handle pack ice well.
    The Kumho M/T (Take off from the older BFG M/T design) has the places for ice studs if your interested in going that route.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

hmmm Interesting - I hadn't even looked at the Kumho. Are you talking about the Kumho Road Venture M/T?

Unfortunately, studs are not allowed in this area of Ontario
    <br />98 4Runner Limited<br />1999 Suzuki GSXR750 - Sold Apr/08

Ah, yes I was talking about the Kumho Road Venture M/T, they have two tread patterns, the KL71, and the KL78, I believe, one is eerily similar to the BFG M/T, and the other is a crazy knobbed tire slightly similar to a procomp Xterrain.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

No tire is good on ice like your describing. A dedicated snow and ice tire would be the best thing. For only 20 or so days a year, i would say drive carefully. The Toyo M/T will do good in everything else though. The siping helps for sure. Instead of a separate set of snow tires, how about a set of chains for the Toyo M/T's? It would definitely be cheaper.
    Any of you like Guns? Hit me up for great prices! www.gunsupfirearms.com

a set of cheap stock rims and a set of the Green Diamond tires from here:
    http://treadwright.com/

I got a set for everyday use. and it wasn't bad cost wise. But i didn't have em mounted right. because they are retreads you have to get em mounted just right.

I am going to get some more for the 4 runner, mainly because i dont drive it everyday. But i wont get them for a DD.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

i run a set of 36 mtz and they work really well on ice they dont slide and i have a detroit locker in the rear so look into thoses
    1988 4runner hybrid 44/60 front axle dual inchworms 12bolt rear<br />1972 jimmy 425hp and smog examt<br />95 range rover

Quote Originally Posted by bigarms23
    i run a set of 36 mtz and they work really well on ice they dont slide and i have a detroit locker in the rear so look into thoses
    I know you get the Ice where you live Dan. I lived in Kirkwood (elevation 7600) for 8 years and never had a problem with any M/T I owned. Of course I was extra careful.

I know alot of people would buy tires with inserts for spikes. You might go that direction.

I just ran my M/T's home on a sheet of ice. Passed 9 cars, either in a ditch, smacked against a guard rail or rear ended in a 12 mile drive. I didn't go any faster than 35 on a 60 MPH road, some felt like going 40. One doing about 45 about lost it in front of me. Starting from a complete stop either on flat ground or on a hill I needed 4wd to get going without spinning the tires but once I got going I shifted out. If you drive smart, drive for the conditions and leave plenty of room infront of you for people who think they can drive through anything, you'll be fine.
    94/2.4/5spd/261/331250GeolanderMT

I use pure winter/ice tires here in Montreal....and even then on black ice or ice its dicey!

I have a set of Firestone Destination MT's and I tried to use them the first winter i got them...no way! The moment it got too cold the rubber froze up like a rock and i was spinning everywhere (even with airing down)

Ontario is a bit milder than Quebec... but i wouldn't run MT's in the winter here....go for a full blown winter/ice tire. They are made for our winters...MT's are not.

-B

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast