Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basic tools to work on your vehicle

Basic tools to work on your vehicle

Here's a good starting point list of tools anyone wanting to start working on their vehicle should have. This list is meant to be a bare minimum. People like myself are on the other end of the spectrum and need to have every tool for every job.....hey, it beats stamp collecting.

Basic Tools to Fix a Car

There are two types of people in the world. Those that tinker with their cars and those that do not. Having some experience fixing your own car can be a great help for minor break downs and in remote areas. When a car breaks down and there is a serious problem then there is often not much you can do about it. But if the problem is minor and you have the appropriate tools then it can help you to have some knowledge of fixing your car. This is also helpful in saving money as sometimes the auto shops charge exorbitant amount for simple fixes that can also be done by you, simply using basic tools. Having the correct tool and the knowledge of using that tool helps the car owner to know more about their car and at the same time saves a lot of money.

The following are some of the tools required by a car driver that maybe very useful at the time of car breakdown.

• Oil filter wrench (there are different types, including cap, plier and strap type wrenches). You will have to decide which provides best grip of the filter, based on accessibility. I use a plier style wrench myself.
      Catch pan (for capturing used oil and coolant....preferably one for working with each fluid)

• 3/8” basic socket wrench set, including sockets (only need metric sizes for Toyotas, preferably buy 6 point sockets because don't round off nuts/bolts like 12 points do) ratchets, extensions, adapters, and spark-plug sockets

• Torx sockets or bits (metric sizes)

• Combination wrench set (metric sizes)

• Hex-key wrench set (commonly referred to as Allen wrenches)

• Flare-nut fitting wrenches (most commonly used to help prevent the rounding-off of brake line fittings and bleeder fittings)

• Fender cover (to protect the finish of your car while working under the hood)

• Basic screwdriver set

• Test light (for checking the availability of voltage and ground in circuits)

• Multimeter (a more advanced electrical checking tool that provides readings of voltage, ohms, amps and sometimes more)

• Slip-joint, groove-joint, needle-nose, and locking pliers

• Torque wrench (a wrench that indicates the “tightness” of nuts and bolts)

• Air pressure gauge

• Radiator hydrometer

• Penetrating oil (used to help free and lubricate seized or frozen fasteners)

• Soldering gun & solder

• Electrical pliers

• Jack stands or Ramps

• Wheel chocks

• Hydraulic Jack

• Battery charger

Items in red above are the BARE MINIMUM you should have for doing basic maintenance.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Re: Basic tools to work on your vehicle

You may also want to add a creeper so you don't have to lie on the cold dirty ground.
    And Glove, mechanix type and latex, keeps hands clean while changing oil.
    92 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4<br />Skyjacker Nitro shocks, Pro-Comp steering stabilizer, clear bumper lenses, lund windjammer, OME standard coils, ISR mod, inlet pipe removed, Bushwaker Fender Flares.<br /><br />2002 Tacoma Prerunner V6 extracab. Lund Intercepter bug guard, rear glass sunshield, Bilstein shocks on rear.<br /><br />2004 Honda CRV EX stock belongs to wife.

what about a BFH...
    and duct tape ?
    [quote author=Euphorickaty80 link=topic=575.msg3747#msg3747 date=1175627780]<br />I was alot of fun to build.[/quote]

I have already NEEDED a 14mm, 12mm and 19mm ratcheting wrench. I should have bought the entire set the first time.
    99 4Runner SR5 - Desert Dune<br />Bri-Mar 5x8 trailer, Toyo OC AT 265.75.16, PP Springs and Bilsteins, AirRaid MIT and Deckplate, Aftermarket HU w/ Sirius built-in

Im a basic tool does that count?

Aaron
    I can, because I don&#039;t know that I can&#039;t.

10mm is a very common size. my set didnt come with it.. go figure.. cheap ass set lol....
    2002 Tacoma 4x4 3.4 v6 4-Door <br />96k miles and counting!

Tools, like most things we buy for our trucks, are a "get what you pay for item". I pay top dollar for my tools, but not only will they last a life time, but my wrenches go from 2mm to 22mm.

This list is a good start, but to be honest, you'll end up buying tools as you need them, usually smack in the middle of something big
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

axleike is right. how about a list of tool's for the trail?
    just because you&#39;ve always done it that way doesn&#39;t mean it&#39;s not incredibly stupid.<br /><br />1999 4x4 SR5 4runner<br />http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&amp;Itemid=26&amp;topic=1 081.0

what about duct tape and zipties?

Don't forget the breaker bar.
    1997 4Runner SR5 4WD / 4&quot; deck plate mod-REMOVED / 01 Tundra Wheels / Cup Holder mod / 285/75/16 Pro Comp AT / SS SYSTEM 1.1 / <br />01 Overhead Console mod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast