Thread: Urgent questions about my new shocks.

Urgent questions about my new shocks.

Okay - this may seem simple and stupid, but i need some help...

I purchased a new set of ES3000's from 4WP for my 1984 4Runner.
    There is no rebound in them, they are ONLY dampeners. is this correct? I cann compress and extend them byhand, and they stay in whatever position I extend/compress them to. They only shipped me 3 ES3000's, and one ES9000 by mistake, the ES9000 had a strap on it, and when looking, it extends on its own, much the way I thought ALL shocks were supposed to. If I take the strap off of the 9000, it would extend. Thats what I want on the truck right? something exerting some actual downward force on the wheel, right? Not something that just dampens the movement of the wheel and doens put any return force into it...

Help me out here guys, cause i've got to send SOMETHING back to 4WP....either the 1 ES9000 and get the right ES3000, or send back the 3 ES3000's and get some new 9k's....

Time is of the essence boys and girls. Help.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Re: Urgent questions about my new shocks.

Just about every shock I have seen works the way you describe... just a dampener.

Which could raise the question, what is "GAS" for in the ubiquitous "gas" shock, if it doesn't provide some lift.

You get 'air' shocks if you want to add load leveling or lifting... otherwise its your springs that lift you , not your shocks...

I bet you're OK with what you have. As I see it, your biggest trouble is not FREEZING while you install them LOL !!!

Well the ES3000's are 'hydraulic shocks' and the ES9000 are 'gas shocks' The 9000 does spring back...
    *sigh* Its only like an $8 difference for the 9K's, Im just not sure if i should keep the 3K's, or go to the 9K's...
    -Chris
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.

Go with the gas shock (in my own opinion). I like the way they react under compression. I think the hydraulic shock retains more heat after rapid cycling and gets stiffer in a cold environment. Gas Shocks are usually Nitrogen filled, and Nitrogen is inert in gas form, and doesnt change because of temperature (in normal circumstanses). I am no shock guru (correct me if I am wrong)!

http://www.monroe.com/tech_support/t...kabsorbers.asp

read at the middle of the page about gas shocks... I learned a little! :-)

Cool deal Mike. Thanks for the link, learned me a little something too, I'll stick with the 3000's just need to get the 9000 swapped for the 3000, and a new sterring stablizer with the correct mounts.
    -Chris

The shocks are all viscous dampers. They dampen motion as opposed to dampening which means to make wet. Their force is a function of velocity. Gas shocks won't really provide much lift. I mean you can typically compress them by hand so that's how hard they are pushing the truck up.

Remote res shocks use the compressed gas to cool the shock. Since the act of compression not only heats the gas but also the fluid, which heats the gas more, all that gas that has been forced into the reservoir loses heat to the outside world. The AC works on the same principle. Upon extensions, the then cooler expanding gas reenters the shock to absorb more heat.

Without the reservoir, that gas might transfer more heat to the piston, I don't really know, but it will at least change the ride characteristics when the wheel tries to extend at slower rates. At high rates the viscous damping force will be the predominant one slowing wheel extension.

My current shocks are not gas charged, I have Doetsch Prerunners, and I really like them.

Frank
    1985 FJ-60, 3FE, Hell Creek lift, 2009 H3 sold

Good Info After research, I found out mine are oil filled hydraulic with a gas charge.