Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Howdy

Re: Howdy

Some came with 4.88's according to something I read, it said a few came with odd gearing & it was unknown why. I wish I could remember where I read it I'd provide the link; I'm 99.99% sure mine is stock & average but I'm going to check the codes to be certain. I have 31's on it right now; it had them when I bought the truck. Once I figure out the gear ratio I'll decide what to do about tires since it needs them right now.

I also have a little sag in the back & the shocks are starting to boat back there so it's time for new shocks in the back & I figured I'd put in a set of springs while I was at it. I put Bilsteins up front just after I got it because it had a broken shock on the pass. side. I have read that NAPA springs are good to level these back out but they don't have a heavy duty version & my 4Runner will be used a few times a year to deliver mail on a rural route (wifes a rural carrier) so there will be a load in the back occasionally, that's why I'm not sure what springs to use, I wouldn't mind a slight 1" - 1.5" lift but I'm not sure if it'll look right without lifting the entire thing & the whole cv wear thing. If I do lift the entire truck by that much, then 35's will be an option...but I'm still new to 4Runners & Toyotas in general so; I'm still in the dark & looking for the light switch!
    '95 4Runner bone stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Welcome to UY! Do you have an auto or manual transmission? If you have the auto, you may have 4.88's.
    Yes, it's an automatic.....that's what the link I referred to said too. I wish I could remember where that was.

Look at your sticker in the door jamb. G144 = 4.88's

If you are going 33's with the 3.0 and auto, you are going to want 5.29's. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

I just went out & looked while you were posting this, according to Toyota@offroad.com - http://toyota.off-road.com/toyota/ar....jsp?id=274535 the G144 code stands for 8", 4.875 ratio, 4 pinion

If it stands for 4.88's then that's what I have because my code is indeed G144

That's the code I have also. I can tell you from experience that with 33's it is barely tolerable without regearing. If mine was a true DD, I wouldn't be running the tires I have now without regearing.

The two things I would install first:

1. The biggest aux.tranny cooler you can fit and a tranny temp gauge.

2. Sonoran Steel IFS rear a-arm brace or another brand, but you really need something there as even just potholes could start to flex your frame at that weak point.
    My signature

Hey thanks for the heads up on that brace, I saw one for sale (somewhere) & was wondering how much it was really needed in the big picture since I've never heard of anyone using one...or talking about using one at least.

Saying "hello!", Brenjen.

Hot and humid enough for you down there?(If you don't remember, I'm up in Winslow)
    "All I know can be shown by your acceptance of the facts that are shown before you..."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12