Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I remove a rusty nut or bolt?

Re: How do I remove a rusty nut or bolt?

I thought I heard of people using Coca Cola...does this work too?
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

maybe diet coke, seems like it would make alot more of a mess and wouldnt help much.

as an update to the nutcracker. it will not crack nuts (at least not easily) that have the flange at the base. also, tight places like around an exhaust pipe, are hard to get at, especially when you are working upside down.

however, works great on normal nuts! and its heavy enough that if you put it in a long sock, it really would be a NUT CRACKER!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby
    I thought I heard of people using Coca Cola...does this work too?
    Coke works well as a rust remover (phosphoric acid), but not much else.
    They did the entire gambit of tests on Mythbusters a while back.

Only thing I've ever seen take out a carbide easy-out was a carbide masonry bit (usually a few of them are needed).
    Usually leaves the hole a mess (needs a helicoil after), I just stay away from using those completely.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
    Only thing I've ever seen take out a carbide easy-out was a carbide masonry bit (usually a few of them are needed).
    Usually leaves the hole a mess (needs a helicoil after), I just stay away from using those completely.
    i ended up welding the bolt (now a stud ) to it. much less work
    [quote author=Euphorickaty80 link=topic=575.msg3747#msg3747 date=1175627780]<br />I was alot of fun to build.[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by surf4runner
    i ended up welding the bolt (now a stud ) to it. much less work
    Well if you have a plasma cutter, you can blast it out of the hole too.
    I was thinking more for the average homeowner, but your right.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

mmmmm...plasma i wish!
    i had to take it to a friend w/ a welder. my garage doesnt have the space.
    [quote author=Euphorickaty80 link=topic=575.msg3747#msg3747 date=1175627780]<br />I was alot of fun to build.[/quote]

i just bought new 02 sensor nuts & gaskets. the nuts for my 02s are 80% gone due to rust. i figured id get this issue fixed before my 02s pop out 200miles away from home on a trail or something lol. you guys posted good ways to remove those nuts but, in my situation none of that will work. im going to heat up the nuts lightly with a torch, then use a chisel to break away at the nut being careful of the stud threads.

i work at a dealer in ri. so everything i do is covered in rust and i use most of the methods posted every day. some day ill come to my senses and move the hell out of the rust belt
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 20005spd
    i just bought new 02 sensor nuts & gaskets. the nuts for my 02s are 80% gone due to rust. i figured id get this issue fixed before my 02s pop out 200miles away from home on a trail or something lol. you guys posted good ways to remove those nuts but, in my situation none of that will work. im going to heat up the nuts lightly with a torch, then use a chisel to break away at the nut being careful of the stud threads.

i work at a dealer in ri. so everything i do is covered in rust and i use most of the methods posted every day. some day ill come to my senses and move the hell out of the rust belt
    I just had to do the same thing and a set of vice grips should do it for you.
    http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...26&topic=903.0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12