Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I remove a rusty nut or bolt?

How do I remove a rusty nut or bolt?

Here's a list of methods complied to help make this process easier.

Loosening Rusted Tight Bolts and Studs

1) Penetrating and Dismantling Oils. Forget about WD-40 and Liquid Wrench (obviously use them as a last resort). The only stuff to buy in the US and Canada is PBBlaster, available at IPD, Walmart and other mass marketers. Kroil is another good brand if you can find it. In the UK, try E.A.C.'s PlusGas Formula A, available from tool and engineers' supply shops.

2) Slight Retightening. Try tightening the offending item, just a little bit, then try loosening it. Since learning that one, it has come in handy mucho times.

3) Bolt Extractor Kit The use of a nut or bolt extractor can dramatically improve your chances of getting off a rusted fastener by giving you a good bite and as you turn it actually works to pull the extractor toward the part. This is far better than a socket when the rust has begun to deform the outside of the nut or bolt head.

4) Using Heat. Heat the area around the bolt with a propane torch, and touch a candle or beeswax to the threads. The wax will be sucked into the opening around the threads, and the bolt can be removed easily. The heating and candle application may have to be repeated a couple times. This works on the same principle as sweat-soldering copper pipes, and will work where penetrating oil will not. (Always use care when and where you apply heat). In the absence of beeswax, I used Chapstick and it worked as well.

The often a thread-locked part (like a carburetor or throttle body) will risk snapping off a small screw. Usually heat is used to soften up and remove locked fasteners. Then you can use a solvent on the bolt threads to clean the remains. The breakdown temp is usually 400-500 F so try a soldering iron on the screw, or a small pencil torch to direct the heat right where you need it.

5) Using Cold. Gently heat the area around the female side with a heat gun and then spray the male side with a can of electronics freeze (used to locate intermittent breaks on circuit boards). This may shrink the male bolt enough to break the bond and then allow you to first tighten (as above), then loosen. Spray with PBlaster to ensure that it penetrates into the joint.

6) Cutting Off the Offending Nut. When removing rusted or otherwise stuck nuts or bolts, penetrating oil and impact tools can work, but sometimes just make the job more difficult (as when breaking off a fastener below a point where it can easily be accessed). One of the handiest tools is a Dremel type tool (high speed, power rotary tool) . Using the small cut off wheels (approx. 1" in diameter) spinning at high speed (up to 30,000 rpm depending on the tool) these thin, brittle wheels can cut through even the hardest steel. Work from opposite sides of the nut and use a flat screwdriver to pry the halves apart once you have reached sufficient depth. I have also used this method to remove CV axle nuts without damaging the threads. Be aware that a full-face protection shield is recommended and that spectators remove themselves from the area. When these little wheels break they can travel some distance. The wheels are often available in little containers of 25 and although they will break quite often until you get the feel for them they are relatively inexpensive.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Re: How do I remove a rusty nut or bolt?

Jamie,
    Add this to your #6 as an option as well

This small and compact tool will split nuts from 5/16 to 7/8 in. across flats. A hardened steel cutter, this is a hand tool only. Not to be used with power tools.

or

Work is for those who don&#039;t know how to plunder! <br /><br />1992 4x4 xcab, so stock it&#039;s not funny cause I don&#039;t have the money. <br /><br />If you like to play poker, either live or online, check out my Poker Pals board.

these are great tips!!!

also, just as a mention, a 3/4 inch black iron pipe on the end of a breaker bar will greatly increase the force you are able to apply to the nut or bolt. many times this can lead to a broken bolt head or shaft, so only use where you are replacing the offending part, and can remove the rest of the bolt if it breaks off. IE through blots like the ones for the lower part of a shock.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Good stuff guys, keep the tips coming!
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

dont live in an area that gets rust
    94 4Runner: All the Good Stuff<br /><br />[color=grey] 89 4runner: 3.0, Auto, HID&#39;s<br /><br />[color=blue]81 2wd pickup: 22r, 5sp, Lock Right, custom seats, Hella 500&#39;s on the bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofer
    dont live in an area that gets rust

J/K

Sure, rub it in on all us poor rustbelt saps.
    Man I miss what it was like to work on stuff back in AZ!

breaker bar and PB gets 99 percent of my bolts.....sawzall for the other one percent
    Low down and durrrrrrty rock-stacking web wheeler

i just bought a nut cracker for my bolts on my cat for my honda. ill let you know how well it works tomorrow or next weekend when i actually get to do it.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

easy out and a drill... for after the head has snapped off

my question: how do you remove a broken carbide easy out?
    [quote author=Euphorickaty80 link=topic=575.msg3747#msg3747 date=1175627780]<br />I was alot of fun to build.[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by surf4runner
    easy out and a drill... for after the head has snapped off

Ill second that!! Carbide drill bits and easy out set.

my question: how do you remove a broken carbide easy out?
    Been there and it was a total clusterfook. Ended up using multiple tiny carbide bits (broke a few) to drill out tiny bits around it. Talk about patience.

Add to #1 - Tapping the offending part in between squirts of PB
    99 4Runner SR5 - Desert Dune<br />Bri-Mar 5x8 trailer, Toyo OC AT 265.75.16, PP Springs and Bilsteins, AirRaid MIT and Deckplate, Aftermarket HU w/ Sirius built-in

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast