Thread: driveshaft questions

driveshaft questions

my 2000 4x4 4runner with 5spd has a bent rear drive shaft. my question is does anyone know if all 3rd gen shafts are the same, length wise? im thinking the automatic trucks may be a little different length. i have the chance to buy a shaft from an 01 auto. thanks in advance
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

Re: driveshaft questions

its my dshaft from my 01 he's looking to buy.

im concerned it wont fit, because flooks (who has a 98 5spd 4x4) sold this one to me bc it wouldnt fit his... i think it was too short due to the increased size of the tcase on the 01 awd.

ill try to get a measurement on it today or tomorrow man.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

i just asked flooks why he didnt use it, he said

"too short, and the flanges were different. it is a completely different shaft."

chances are low of it working ill get pics and measurements anyhow, just in case.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

update! flooks said that since you have a 6cyl it will probably work! ill def get pics and measurements for ya.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

you need a 96-00 manual rear shaft, they are usually around 47-48" installed, an 01 rear shaft is about 45.5.

doing my conversion made me get multiple lenghts of shafts to figure out which one would fit.

The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

can someone confirm the different flanges on the 4 vs. 6? if they are the same, i have 2 spares right now, brian, of which i won't need once the dual cases go in. give me the $50 i picked each up for and one is yours. one is actually at scott's house that you can grab.

Quote Originally Posted by 20005spd
    my question is does anyone know if all 3rd gen shafts are the same, length wise? im thinking the automatic trucks may be a little different length.
    i can add the length of my 02 2wd w/auto here(when it stops raining) if its wanted
    [quote author=Euphorickaty80 link=topic=575.msg3747#msg3747 date=1175627780]<br />I was alot of fun to build.[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by bflooks
    can someone confirm the different flanges on the 4 vs. 6? if they are the same, i have 2 spares right now, brian, of which i won't need once the dual cases go in. give me the $50 i picked each up for and one is yours. one is actually at scott's house that you can grab.
    by different flanges you mean on the diff and t case right? they should all be the same. im running a 4cyl 3rd from a 94 pickup and the flange is the same so im 99% sure yours is like mine. if it does work i will deff buy at least 1 off you flooks. thanks for the offer

do you still have that front bud built flooks? if im going to scotts i may pick that up off you as well, i need some better protection.
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com