Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 98 front end conversion

98 front end conversion

I've been thinking about doing this for a while now. I want to convert a few things to the 99 front end.

I want to change the headlights to the 99 style, which I heard was as simple as plug and play.

I also want the 99 bumper, specifically for the fog light/signal.

The last thing would be a hood with a hood scoop.

What would your suggestions be on the best/cheapest way to do it? I'm up for all suggestions. Thanks.
    - Dan<br />&nbsp; 1998 4runner SR5

Re: 98 front end conversion

When changing your headlights, you will also need to change your corner markers as well. I am looking at picking up a set of the crystal clear headlights and corners from burtman industries - but im still debating if I should go with the regular ones or the JDM blacked out style. (i need to find some good picks of a dark truck with stock bumpers and no guard using the JDM ones)

<br />98 4Runner Limited<br />1999 Suzuki GSXR750 - Sold Apr/08

I have to pick up 99 corners too? I have 98 clears now.

if you need 99+ corners with 99+ headlights, that would be news to me. i suppose the only way you'd know is if someone who has done the upgrade in headlights had to change out their corners too. i didn't think you needed to change the corners!
    1996 SR5 4Runner
    3.4 5speed 4x4 165k

Nope its not required but it would look a whole lot nicer. The 96-98 Clear corners are frosted white and the 99+ are just clear which will match up better.
    97 4runner Limited<br />2wd---&gt;4wd Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Nuthuts96
    if you need 99+ corners with 99+ headlights, that would be news to me. i suppose the only way you'd know is if someone who has done the upgrade in headlights had to change out their corners too. i didn't think you needed to change the corners!
    I've upgraded my 97 headlights to 99's, and did not change out corners. It is not necessary. People do it for cosmetic reasons only. And the basic headlight upgrade it totally plug and play.

I HIGHLY recommend changing out your headlight wiring harness to a relay-based system at the same time though; it makes every bit as much difference as the new lights. The two of them together make a world of difference in light output.

Unfortunately my work computer is blocking access to the sites that have more information about that, but they include 4crawler.com (DIY instructions and rationalization), and suvlight.com (one of the makers of a pre-built harness)

Scott
    2017 blue 4runner ORP / Shrockwork sliders, RCI skids, and a small pile of not-yet-installed bits.
    (Proud recipient of $22,000 in damage within the first five months of ownership. Darnit.)

http://www.burtmanindustries.com/gal...eads_blk_96-98

Here ya go 4low, the 99 smoked headlights on a black 4runner.

I will have to check into the headlights, any comments on switching to the 99 bumper?

Sorry about the mis-info 4runnersurf... I was going based on this excerpt from an email to Burtman Industries

>I am interested in the crystal clear headlights you have listed on your site
    >for my 98 4Runner limited. Will these lights only work on my vehicle if I
    >also get the clear corners?

Yep, and you would want THESE corners to go with the above headlights:

http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoo...orn_euro_96-98

Has there been any reported problems with
    >leaking in either of these products?

None that I know of. I also have both of these same items on my own truck,
    the pics in that link above is my truck. I love the look and you will too.

So this info makes me happier - I didnt want to change the corners just yet

Quote Originally Posted by 4runnersurf
    ... any comments on switching to the 99 bumper?
    I have a vague heresay memory from TOF that it doesn't work without some fairly chunky adjustment. BruceTS comes to mind as the author if that helps. (Don't quote me on either part, but it might give ya somewhere to search.)

Is that equivocal enough? :P

Edit: I found a post from bamachem that says it does, but again, what do I know, I haven't done it.
    http://www.yotatech.com/f2/96-01-bod...angable-71977/

Ya, ya, club and skin me for posting a TOF link... :P

I'll shut up now... I've already proven I don't know what I'm talkin' about.
    Scott
    2017 blue 4runner ORP / Shrockwork sliders, RCI skids, and a small pile of not-yet-installed bits.
    (Proud recipient of $22,000 in damage within the first five months of ownership. Darnit.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast