Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lift Question

Lift Question

I have a 98 4runner with stock springs and rancho shocks that will need to be replaced soon. I want to put a mild lift on it, mainly for looks. I do occasionally offroad, but nothing hard. I want to put a lift that will have the least amount of stress on my CV boots as possible. Which is better?

The 99 coil spring set up?
    Land Cruiser set up?
    Or this set up? http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runne...nsion/jims.htm
    - Dan<br />&nbsp; 1998 4runner SR5

Re: Lift Question

if i were you i wouldnt bother with a 1-2" lift kit. 2.5" front and 3" rear is a good height, it wont stress cv's especially if you get the 1" diff drop. i think the best setup for you would be tundra coils up front, with either blue tokico shocks or greens. and ome 3" springs and new shocks out back. i started with the kit on the top of this page http://www.toyteclifts.com/96024runn...rfrontliftopts then moved to 2004 trd 4wd tundra coils and green tokico shocks in the front.
    for what you want LC springs are going to be to high for you in the rear.
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

For the mild lift you want look at the Tundra's up front like 20005spd said and Old Man Emu 890s for the rear.
    Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

i know this isn't the classifieds, but i have a set of the ome 891's and shocks to go with them. springs have about 50k on them, shocks about 20k. i could let them go for 150 plus shipping.

anyhow, i ran these springs and daystar 2.5" spacers up front on top of my stock strut setup. it was fine for me, and i drive a ton. everyone seems to like the tundra setup, but i don't have any experience with that. i would recommend you try to find people local who have these setups and ask for a ride. you could hit up the midatlantictoyotacrawlers. they used to be part of ttora. i am sure some of them are running them.

if your interested in flooks rear setup i have 2.5" front spacers from my toytec kit that i am selling. the reason i switched to tundra coils was i bought cheap junk shocks from a local parts store and it made it ride horrible. i was going to just change the shocks but figured while i was in their i would switch to tundras to see what all the fuss was about
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

if i had a 3rd gen and i wanted to lift it for looks, id just do OME all around, shocks and coils.

an ome lift with the swaybars on would probably yield a pretty good ride quality.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

That's what I originally wanted to run, the ome's all around. But that's an expensive route that I would have to save up for. If I got the OME would I need the diff drop? Also, If I swaped my springs for the 99's and bilstien's shocks, could i add a spacer for a mild lift? How would the ride be?

its expensive but worth it if you can do it. if not, look for a used set around on the various boards

you dont "need" the diff drop, but people claim it helps with cv angles. i never installed one in my 4r which i wheeled the crap out of, and my cv angles were great. ome coils and shocks all around on it.

if you get 99 springs, you can put a spacer lift up front, but get some other coils for the back

i wouldnt do bilsteins, imo they are too soft for lifted 4runners.

spacer lifts are harsher ride-wise, thats why i suggested coils, but if youre willing to live with it, its not that bad.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

By the way 20005spd, how was the ride with the top kit on toytec? What shocks did you use?

I've heard the OME all around is a better ride then the stock suspension. Is that true?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast