Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vermejo's Offroad Log

Re: Vermejo's Offroad Log

Excellent pics, i wanted to explore the Gila and some of it's backroads when i was there in Dec, unfortunately the Pinos Altos area was in clouds and it was really wet. I doubt I would feel good about tackling some of those roads you showed alone. Nice shots, makes me want to get out and explore!

nice pics and trails, someday ill get out that way....
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

Thanks for the compliments guys. I 僧 headed to Moab on Tuesday to meet up with some of the AZ crew. I知 pushing to have the truck in order by Memorial Day. The diamond is fixed on the truck with 100+ rivets. PITA to install

As for the NM Gila: it痴 my favorite place to travel being an hour away. The best roads aren稚 on most maps and provide access to incredible areas. As stated the remote nature of these areas could be a problem given vehicle breakdown or bodily injury. When we explore those parts we take provisions to survive the elements. Being armed is also well advised
    1998 LTD|DoubleLocked|Yukon 4:88|SMP Bumpers &amp; Armor|315 BFG KM2|Sonoran Steel|BudBuilt|Warn Recovery &amp; Hubs<br />NewMexicoBackroads.blogspot.com

Moab 2008

A buddy of mine, Steven, and I took off 10pm Tuesday night headed for Moab, UT. We arrived at 8am Wednesday to find off-road heaven; half dead, tired and hungry. Our second wind kicked in and we found our dusty/hot campsite at the start of Fins n’ Things, renamed by us as Fens and Hens. Later that night we met up with the rest of the Crew.

Trails:

Wednesday – Fins and Hens: warm-up where I discovered the bite of rubber + sandstone

Thursday- Moab Rim: everything to lose on this trail’s assent and decent, good obstacles and a better understanding of luck and the forces of gravity

Friday- Steel Bender: my personal favorite given ledge climbs and steep descents

We had a great time, wheeled with good people and saw beautiful country.

Links:
    http://www.yotatech.com/f66/moab-2008-a-143843/
    http://bstadelman.com/Site/Welcome.html

1998 LTD|DoubleLocked|Yukon 4:88|SMP Bumpers &amp; Armor|315 BFG KM2|Sonoran Steel|BudBuilt|Warn Recovery &amp; Hubs<br />NewMexicoBackroads.blogspot.com

Great photos. Fins and Things and Rim are awesome fun. (despite me breaking a CV, an axle braket, and punching a hole in the sump!) I really like the angles you used in many of the shots.
    Mark<br />04 4Runner SE, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 35&quot; BFG&#39;s, ARB lockers frnt and rear, 4.56 Gears, SW Sliders &amp; Bullbar, Smittybilt 10000lb winch, custom susp, 1.5&quot; 4Crawler BL, Kurt Trailing Arms, Cobra 75WXST CB radio, 4ft Firestick, Yaesu FT-7800 2m/70cm Ham Radio, Sat. Radio.

San Juan Mountains

After departing Moab we headed down SE to the San Juan Mountains of Colorado. After staying Friday night in Ouray, we attempted cruise the Alpine Loop linking: Engineer pass, Lake City, Cinnamon Pass and Animas Forks, with exit through Silverton. A 30ft snow drift stopped us a mile up the hill. A short trip to Silverton via the highway yielded a passable road (110) to the high country. Cinnamon Pass was traversable only to an extent before the road became nonexistent.

The trip into Durango produced a check engine light and near total loss of engine power to the truck. The local Auto Zone was open, ran the code and had the part; throttle response sensor. With the good luck we decided to hit the brewery and call it a day.

Caballo Mountains

The sis and I met up with the LC4WD Club Saturday for a Caballo Mountains run 60 miles north of Las Cruces. The Rio Grande collects at the base of the range to form Caballo Reservoir. With temperatures hovering above 100 for two weeks the rainstorms and cool winds were welcoming. The trail rated as “easy” has since been washed out providing plenty of obstacles in the lower canyons; most of us were unaware of these changes. I was informed by a fellow enthusiast as to the pain my truck would endure, “Your car isn’t going to make it; you are more than welcome to ride with me”. … I passed on the offer. Carnage ensued shortly thereafter for many of the group. Luckily my truck was undamaged as the skids, sliders and bumpers were working overtime.

We were able to watch the storm move in once we reached the summit for amazing views. Enjoy

Gila National Forrest, NM

24 Hours of the Gila

Departing Saturday evening and returning the following day we covered over 400 miles most of which was off-road. Access to the Gila National Forest was at Mimbres, NM via FR 150. FR 150 in combination with FR 142 encircles the NE Gila Wilderness covering over 200 miles depending on the route. We Camped Saturday at Black Canyon Creek under heavy rains in the truck. Morning came with chilly air and a thick fog. We continued the loop on to Beaverhead and FR 142 where the forest breaks giving way to grassy plains and high mesas. The roads in this area are not the best place to travel solo as we passed not a soul; the rains have turned miles of dirt into mud holes and rock ruts. The route returns to heavy forest at Snow Lake and the burnt School Canyon into the high country. The forest in this area, Willow Creek and Bear Wallow, are vegetated like few parts of the Southwest looking more like sections of more northern states. Before hitting pavement at Mogollon my front end seemed to rattle and clunk like sure death at the start what was to be many descending switchbacks. Meghan was thrilled to be in a 5000 lb casket looking down a few thousand feet. I jerked on everything front end and found nothing so I pressed on. After descending, what sounded like a toolbox, I searched to find a rock wedged between the skid and sway bar. With no intention of budging I had to drop the back of the skid for removal. The trip home was cooled by cloud cover and desert storms, a great end.

With time too short this trip; I’ve already planned a return in a few weeks. Enjoy

Amazing stuff. Were those wolves?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey
    Amazing stuff. Were those wolves?
    Nah, those were just some wandering Shepherds although the Mexican Grey Wolf was re-released in the NM Gila a decade ago. These dogs have the life!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast