Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snowshoe question. Snowshoes snow shoes

Snowshoe question. Snowshoes snow shoes

I'm interested in purchasing some snowshoes. Main purposes for this is 1) back country skiing (nothing extreme. Very mild grade runs) 2) Casual hiking.

I usually hike in soft powder, so something that will help me float on top. I will also be in my ski boots, but in hiking boots when taking a casual stroll.

Any suggestions on a versatile pair of shoes? I am going to go to a few outdoor shops tomorrow, but just wanted to get some feedback from you guys, too.

Thanks.
    Land Cruiser

Re: Snowshoe question. Snowshoes snow shoes

I have used both Atlas and Tubbs snowshoes and liked them both but wasn't a big fan of the MSRs I had access to. You will need to take into account the amount of weight you will be carrying (rucksack, skis), what type of boots you will be wearing with them (some strap systems don't handle large/bulky footwear well) and most importantly what feels good to you. Try and find a shop that will loan or rent out sets so you can try them all and see what works for you.
    Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

If you really want a versatile shoe, then the MSR Denali EVO Ascent might be a good choice. The reason being that they have optional floats that you can attach to compensate for the snow condition and weight you're carrying. A little pricey at about $180. If you really want to go all out, you can try the Lightnings Ascent. Both have a special feature that allows your heals to be raised so it's easier for climbing. But like Bighead said, it's kind of a personal choice. I really liked the MSR's.

My wife and I have Atlas brand shoes. I have the 1025's and her the 1022's. Totally worth the purchase and bomber. Worse thing you'd want it having a snow shoe break while out in the woods.

I am not a fan of the hard plastic MSR snowshoes. When the terrain slopes one direction or the other, the entire snowshoe will lean that way and put a lot of stress on your ankles. The aluminum framed ones allow your foot to float a little to compensate. I use some old Redfeather aluminum/leather snowshoes and just bought my girlfriend the aluminum framed Tubbs.

Unlike most other outdoor equipment, I have found that less expensive snowshoes work just fine.

Thanks for all the inputs, everyone. I found some Tubbs Venture snowshoes for $152 shipped at Amazon. I went to REI and they had some MSR's and Atlas. MSR's were nice, because you can add either a 4" or 8" attachment depending on how soft the snow was. Cool, feature, I thought. It was priced at $130, I believe. Not too bad.

I also went to Sports Authority and they had Redfeather's, which were $99. The design seemed exactly like Tubbs, but the material used were a bit inferior, I believe. Tubbs had a lifetime warranty. Not sure about Redfeathers.
    Land Cruiser

Sounds good, I think you will be happy with the Tubbs.

I went snowshoeing last weekend--had fun, but I think the guy on the turbo Polaris snowmobile was having even more fun. Even better, I saw a guy drive a 4-seater snocat off his trailer and drive away with his family of four.

I just ordered Tubbs Sojourn 25" from REI. $82 shipped to my door! Couldn't pass up that deal.

I went snowmobiling last weekend, too. I suck at it, though. My back is still sore from digging myself out.
    Land Cruiser

Even though you already got some, I love my MSR Denali's. I spent a whole ski season doing backcountry with them (I worked graveyard driving snocats, so I had the days off to board ), the heel raisers help out so much. Like Ken said, the side hill is a little different, but didn't really bother me as I always had poles in those situations. I used them with my snowboard boots and with regular boots. The other reason I liked them is that they strap to my backpack easy, and if you use the extensions they just come off and go inside that way they aren't hanging out anywhere past the backpack to get snagged on stuff.
    My signature

slosurfer - Thanks for the input. Had the Denali's been a bit cheaper at REI, I would've probably bought it that day. But I really couldn't pass on the $72 + $10 shipping for the Tubbs.

There is one question I do have, though. I'm a skiier, which means when I'm hiking, I would have to be in regular hiking boots, right? Seems like a hassle having to carry two pairs of boots plus the snowshoes. Those that ski, were you able to hike using the ski boots?
    Land Cruiser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast