Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What vehicle security system do you use?

Re: What vehicle security system do you use?

I've got one of these.

You have to keep it well hydrated though, especially in the SoCal summers.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    I've got one of these.

You have to keep it well hydrated though, especially in the SoCal summers.
    Too funny lol.

Well, due to the economy, I had to let go my trunkmonkey. And last night the 4runner was broken into. Well, I should say they got into it. I somehow left it unlocked. Last night we went to a friends house for dinner and right before we left, I jumped out and got in the 4runner to grab a sweatshirt. I know I hit the lock button, but I'm thinking I must have hit the wrong side of the button. I remember hearing it click and everything, but I didn't test the door. Anyways, this morning when I went out, the door was cracked open, stuff in the driveway, and all over the front. The got about $250 in cash and quarters (from a self serve carwash that I take care of) and my new stanley tripod LED flashlight. FAWKERS Somehow, they did not take my backpack (went through it somewhat and grabbed the flashlight) but it had probably 4 knives and various other flashlights, and other bugout type stuff. It was on the ground with most the contents spread around it. My gps was sitting on the seat and wasn't taken. My binoculars were in the driversseat back pocket and they didn't see them. MY CD's were sitting right there and not taken. They actually moved my XM radio to look in one of the cubbies on the dash and didn't take it. I'm so pissed my dog didn't hear them.

I've been planning on a kill switch for awhile, but what I'm after is a decent alarm that will have a key fob and work my door locks. Any reccomendations?
    My signature

SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Too funny Fuster! I have one of those. Apparently he's broken as he only goes crazy when the neighbours are in their driveway or the UPS guy is across the street. He usually goes nuts at anything near our driveway, so I'm a little dissapointed in the guy.
    My signature

http://www.viper.com/ShopViperProduc...ItemCode=3302V

Viper makes a great variety of alarms, and this one is a bit pricey, but does the job. Granted I live in a low crime area right now...but, great alarm!
    ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿<br /> Wayne W.<br />2000 4Runner SR5<br />3&quot; Revtek Lift, 265/70R17&#039;s<br />Doug Thorley/Jardine Cat-Back &amp; Injen Intake<br />Doug Thorley Headers<br />Eclipse Head Unit &amp; 2 Phoenix Gold 12&#039;s<br />w/Phoenix Gold 500.2 &amp; custom box

Navigator

ya, viper makes some good alarms, but they are all expensive... i dont know much about other alarm systems though...
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Okay, I'm going to check out the viper ones that best buy has. Only thing is it looks like most of them are on backorder. DOH!!

Should I even mess with an alarm or just do a keyless entry?

Any other DIY brands out there that are decent?

Really, this is a really low crime area and it was probably a group of kids roaming around jiggling car doors waiting for one that wasn't locked. The sherrif is out doing some probabtion searches right now, so we'll see what happens with that. Although since they only took two items, there's a slim to none chance of finding anything.
    My signature

I would go for the alarm just because might as well do it right the first time. Later on down the road, you don't want to regret not having one.
    ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿<br /> Wayne W.<br />2000 4Runner SR5<br />3&quot; Revtek Lift, 265/70R17&#039;s<br />Doug Thorley/Jardine Cat-Back &amp; Injen Intake<br />Doug Thorley Headers<br />Eclipse Head Unit &amp; 2 Phoenix Gold 12&#039;s<br />w/Phoenix Gold 500.2 &amp; custom box

chris,

sorry to hear about that. just my 2 cents: sirens giong off are usually unnoticed or people just dont give a darn about them. As you experienced, you need to be there to wage numbchuck war on a perp going through your rig before you put them in a casket (haha). My thought is to never leave anything truly of value in your truck. The 2nd most important thing (besides your life) is to make sure the vehicle does not get stolen. Its less of a concern for you since youre in Central CA, but for LA and SD residents so close to Mexico, it matters more. I'd install some sort of manually activated engine start switch and a regular ol' keyless entry system. Much cheaper and less of a headache to install

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast