Funnel (long nozzle type)
Newspaper and/or shop towels
Wheel chocks
Supplies Needed
Toyota Oil Filter: Part #08922-02011
6 Qts of Motor Oil: 5W-30 Full Synthetic or regular oil
Oil plug gasket (generic)
Obligatory Disclaimer
I am providing this write up for illustrative purposes only. Perform at your own risk. Any mods (including this one) you perform on your vehicle is your responsibility

Summary
This write up is based on changing the oil on a 1998 4Runner SR5 V6. As you probably know, changing your oil is one of the most important and basic maintenance tasks that you can easily perform on your 4runner. While I'm not going to get into the great debate on the different types of motor oils, filters and intervals, I will say that your safest bet is to stay within the Toyota factory guidelines. Your owner's manual will tell you exactly what that is. For me, I use the OEM Toyota oil filter with Mobil 1 5W-30 at 5,000 mile intervals.

Please note that there are many different ways to change your oil. This is the way I do mine.

Step 1: Preparing the 4Runner
If you have a 4Runner with 16" rims and you don't have a gigantic beer belly, you might be able to work under your 4Runner without using a lift or jack stands. In fact, this write up is based on my ability to slide under my 4runner and not lifting it on jackstands. If you cannnot do this, put it in Park, set your emergency brake, and chock your wheels. Next, lift your 4runner onto your jack stands.

Step 2: Draining the Oil
Unscrew your oil cap and put it in a safe place. Removing the oil cap will allow the oil to flow out faster when you unscrew the oil plug (I learned this very important physics principle in college while learning how to shotgun a beer). Next, get under your 4runner, place your newspapers down, put your drip pan under the oil pan and get ready to unscrew the oil plug. Take your 14mm racheting wrench and unscrew your oil plug. Quickly remove the oil plug and let the oil drain away. Let the oil drain until there is a very slow drip before proceeding to Step 3.

The oil cap sits on the right side of the engine block

The oil plug is located through the rear portion of the skid plate

Step 3: Removing and Replacing the Oil Plug and Filter
There are two ways to do this but I'll illustrate the one that works best for me. I unfastened part of the flap and unscrewed (by hand) the old oil filter through the hole. If it is fastened on too tight, use the oil filter wrench w/ the extension to loosen it. Quickly remove the oil filter by hand and tilt it level to reduce oil spillage.

Here's a bottom view of the oil filter

Turn your wheels to the left, undo the flap (marked as "A") and you can reach in and unscrew the oil filter (marked as "B")

No matter how many times I've tried to minimize spillage, it is a lost cause. A fair amount of oil will seep onto your rear skid plate. No big deal---that is what the newspapers and the shop towels are for.

By now, the old oil should have drained out. Screw the gasketed oil plug back on. Get your new oil filter, put some oil on your finger, apply a light film on the rubber seal of the new oil filter and then hand screw the new oil filter onto the oil filter mount.

Step 4: Filling and Checking the Oil
Place your oil funnel inside and pour in your oil. I pour in 5.5 quarts. Screw the oil cap back on. Remove the oil dipstick (yellow handle) located in the picture below and check the oil level to give you preliminary reading. Run the engine for about 1-2 minutes, turn it off, and then check your oil level after a few seconds. Add more oil if necessary.

Oil: For the 3rd Gen V6 engine, add 5.5 US Quarts

Step 5: The Clean Up
A fairly significant amount of oil should have seeped onto your rear skidplate. Most likely it is dripping onto your newspapers---if you have placed them in the right place, of course. Wipe the skid plate clean. You'll figure out where most of it has seeped. After clean up, remove the oil sump and seal. Place your used filter in the box. Throw away used newspapers.

Now don't you spoil the pristine beaches and earth with your used motor oil! Here's a good website called "Earth 911" that will allow you to find authorized, certified oil disposal sites in your area. Check it out and don't pollute.