Thread: 12V outlets, retrofitting issue

12V outlets, retrofitting issue

Hey guys I have a question. I have a 96 T4R and I'm putting in the rear passenger cargo panel from a 99 that has the 12V plug in it. I also decided to add two near the radio as well. I pulled 2 factory 12V accessory plugs from a 99 dash along with the rear panel and here is what I need help with or ran into. The plugs I found are marked with a 12V on the power side, the smaller spade would then be the ground right? Well, I grounded the small spade (remember, these are factory Toyota plugs) to the body with other grounds ran to the same bolt, I then ran a wire and tapped for power when the key is at the ACC or ON position. Guess what, nothing, no power. This goes for the one plug in the rear and the two up front I added. Now this is weird, if I take one of the new plugs up front and tap into the cigarette power and cigarette ground then it works. If I tap the power of the cigarette and then ground to the body it doesn't work. WTF? Does that make sense to anybody?

I would like to know if there is some strange way the factory Toyota 12V needs to be wired up b/c I have already installed them into my panels like the 4Runners.org mod shows. I also used automotive Goop to help glue them in place. It looks super nice, factory added really but not good if I can only use one of them. I guess if I have to I'll buy some aftermarket 12V accessory outlets and install them but I'd like to keep the factory ones if possible.

Re: 12V outlets, retrofitting issue

if i understand correcly toyotas are switched ground meaning run a hot wire from the battery to the plugs and the ground from the plugs to the acc wire. just be sure to attach it to the right side of the switch or you will have full time power outlets, wich isnt a bad thing i did the mod on my '01 to have full time power outlets and have had zero problems.