Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Starter Guitar?

Good Starter Guitar?

Hey all,

I'm currently musically challenged and would like to attempt the electric guitar. Do any of you musically talented folks out there have a suggestion for a good, cheap starter guitar and amp?

Are there any suggested bits I need such as pedals, etc?

Below is a set I found on the local craigslist:

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/msg/553388146.html

What do you all think? Too starterish?

Thanks all!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Re: Good Starter Guitar?

That looks just like the starter kit my brother got when he learned.

Those fenders are pretty good guitars. I'd go with that. Good price too it seems.

I would just suggest an electric as opposed to an acoustic. I taught for years and trust, acoustics are much harder to play. Also, if you don't listen to acoustic music primarily, you won't relate to the instrument as well.

Get something cheap and used. If you decide you don't like it, you can probably get what you paid for it. If you do, you can upgrade and still get what you paid for it.

Frank
    1985 FJ-60, 3FE, Hell Creek lift, 2009 H3 sold

I use a Psyclone King Maker.

As you can see it has a whammy bar which I really like.

Though playing it makes me really want to learn to play for real, I just can't move my fingers like I need too.
    94/2.4/5spd/261/331250GeolanderMT

HAha Eway - I use the kingmaker too, but just for reference to the OP, I also started with a Fender Squire, and it was an easy guitar to learn on, good luck!!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Remember, when you start, your fingers will kill for a few weeks until you build up the calluses. When I first started, many people told me to start with a classical guitar which is similar to the acoustic, however it uses nylon strings rather than metal allowing more forgiveness and is much easier on your fingers. You can then move to an electric or electric acoustic much easier.

Right now I am in the process of picking up a 12string acoustic - something I have always wanted.

My first guitar I ever picked up as a kid was a double neck electric - it was as heavy as me at the time lol
    <br />98 4Runner Limited<br />1999 Suzuki GSXR750 - Sold Apr/08

Quote Originally Posted by EWAYota
    I use a Psyclone King Maker.

As you can see it has a whammy bar which I really like.

Though playing it makes me really want to learn to play for real, I just can't move my fingers like I need too.
    I have a hard enough time playing one of those.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by 4LowLocked
    Remember, when you start, your fingers will kill for a few weeks until you build up the calluses. When I first started, many people told me to start with a classical guitar which is similar to the acoustic, however it uses nylon strings rather than metal allowing more forgiveness and is much easier on your fingers. You can then move to an electric or electric acoustic much easier.
    That is one thing I was wondering about. My hands are pretty soft, so I think that is going to be the hardest thing to deal with. If I can build up some calluses on my hands, maybe I won't have to worry about being hit on by a gay guy again.

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4LowLocked
    That is one thing I was wondering about. My hands are pretty soft, so I think that is going to be the hardest thing to deal with. If I can build up some calluses on my hands, maybe I won't have to worry about being hit on by a gay guy again.

sooo thats the secret!!!! wait, i dont have nice hands.... must be something else.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

i just wouldn't go to cheap though. if i had it to do over again i would have spent more to get a better quality guitar to start with cause crappy guitars are harder to play than the nicer ones. but i'm an acoustic player so it may be a little different with electric. whatever you end up with, just remember it takes time and patience. one of the toughest parts of learning a guitar is getting past the "wow i sound like crap" stage. its hard to work on technique and chords and stuff and not get discouraged by the awful sounds you'll be making.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast