Replacing Your Rear Tail Lights
By: Bob_98SR5
Date: 11/22/03

Tools Needed
Philips screwdriver

Parts Needed
Tail Light Bulbs (I used Sylvania #7443)

Disclaimer
I am providing this write up for illustrative purposes only. Perform at your own risk. Any mods (including this one) you perform on your vehicle is your responsibility. Commercial use of this write up will result in legal action as well as the undying scorn from members of the online Toyota 4Runner community. You've been warned.

Summary
Changing your rear tail lights is a pretty simple task. However, most people the first time do not know which direction to pull the tail lights out and some have actually broken the tabs. This write up will show you how to safely remove the tail lights and replace the bulbs.

Step 1: Removing the Tail Light Assembly
Remove the two screws with a philips head screwdriver. Next, push the tail light assembly outwards. It might require a bit of force, but it will pop out. Use two hands to control the amount of force you exert on it.

Remove two screws (S)

Push assembly *outwards*

Step 2: Installing the Bulbs
Well, this part does not take rocket science. Just simply untwist the harness and pull out the burned out bulb. Next, insert your new bulb in and re-assemble everything in reverse order.

Here's what it looks like from the back. Screw holes (S), bulbs (B), and male plugs (P)

Here I've taken out the lower, burned-out bulb (B)