Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Veronica gets new facelift, the runner SAS plans

Re: Veronica gets new facelift, the runner SAS plans

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    have you decided what youre gonna do about VSC and everything? you may be opening up a really crappy can of worms with all of that. youll have to do something about the engine computer, the abs wiring, the vsc/speed sensors, etc etc etc.
    So if he doesn't need it then why would he bother doing anything at all with it. Just on the curious has anyone ever preserved the abs with a sas? I would imagine it's possible since there are quite a few vehicles that run solids with abs.

Aaron
    I can, because I don't know that I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by xcmountain80
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    have you decided what youre gonna do about VSC and everything? you may be opening up a really crappy can of worms with all of that. youll have to do something about the engine computer, the abs wiring, the vsc/speed sensors, etc etc etc.
    So if he doesn't need it then why would he bother doing anything at all with it. Just on the curious has anyone ever preserved the abs with a sas? I would imagine it's possible since there are quite a few vehicles that run solids with abs.

Aaron
    i didnt know he'd gotten rid of vsc and abs already when i posted that

i bet if you found a newer SFA out of a jeep or something you could make the abs work.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

I'll second the motion of selling what you have, and if you MUST do this to a 3rd gen runner, then buy the absolute cheapest 96/97/98 that you can find as a base SR5 and maybe even a 2.7L instead of the 3.4L. you can find one for $4k or less if you get a 2WD. Then, spend your money wisely, and spend it where it counts. Transfer Case, Cryo'd Axles and Gears, obviously Lockers, and then just cut the sheetmetal. do something like mossy and take the top of the cargo area and close in the rear passenger area for dry storage after the seats are removed. do a minimal exo to tie the sliders in with the bumpers - which will also stiffen the fairly weak frame that you're working with. put the spare in the cargo area, as close to being over the rear axle as possible. if you do your homework, and do quite a bit of the work yourself, you can complete all that for around $12k including the purchase of the truck.

at that point, you will have something that's worthy of beating on that can take the abuse.

this isn't meant to insult, or to add to the "crap on your campfire" that's already here, but to even attempt what you are thinking of with a 01/02 runner that still has some decent book value - and then to run it in the UA - is just plain foolish in my opinion. it's obvious that you have high ambitions and that you are wanting to do this in some part for looks - and let's be honest - web notariety. don't blow $10k++++ on trying to be popular on the internet. if you want to do that, invest that same $10k and then you can be popular when it's turned into $100k by the time you're 40. now THAT would be much more impressive than a SAS'd 01/02 runner that has $15k in work done to it and beat to near-death on the UA circuit.

that's my $0.02. don't spend it all at once.
    -andy

im not trying to be popular by SASing, i think thats more retarded then useful. i have my reasons.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

build an 80 man...seriously. its got almost everything on your list. for what you want to do...theres no sense in chopping up your runner. its come so far and too nice to be hacked up. break your ifs at least once before you cut it out.

but thats just me.
    sonny<br />1998 4Runner LTD...d0uble locked on 35&#039;s<br />crawlinbc.com

There are two reasons to swap a truck:
    1. Because you need to
    2. Because you want to

The need one is pretty easy to logically justify.

In 2004, I had a 95 4Runner with dual ARB's, 5.29 gears, bumpers and a little suspension on 33's. The 3.0 was tired, need a rebuild or replacement and I was not jazzed for either. I found ORS and put in a 3.4 with a crawler.

I was then lucky enough to be headed west with time to wheel. I went all over Arizona, Moab and Colorado. I broke the hell out of this truck. Having paid a shop for an engine swap, I couldn't afford to sell.

So, I was in the business, could do a goodly amount myself and was facing the compromised reliability. I hung an axle because I needed to, but I did it the way I wanted to. Now I have a truck worth 15-17k. Do you want to know how very little of the total cost of these projects that would cover?

Building a simpler truck will save a bunch of unnecessary headache. This is the voice of Christmas past.

If you have a bunch of sponsors lined up from out of town, free parts up the butt and a place to do this for cheap or free, good luck. If you are fishing for ideas, you have heard mine a couple times.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    There are two reasons to swap a truck:
    1. Because you need to
    2. Because you want to

The need one is pretty easy to logically justify.

In 2004, I had a 95 4Runner with dual ARB's, 5.29 gears, bumpers and a little suspension on 33's. The 3.0 was tired, need a rebuild or replacement and I was not jazzed for either. I found ORS and put in a 3.4 with a crawler.

I was then lucky enough to be headed west with time to wheel. I went all over Arizona, Moab and Colorado. I broke the hell out of this truck. Having paid a shop for an engine swap, I couldn't afford to sell.

So, I was in the business, could do a goodly amount myself and was facing the compromised reliability. I hung an axle because I needed to, but I did it the way I wanted to. Now I have a truck worth 15-17k. Do you want to know how very little of the total cost of these projects that would cover?

Building a simpler truck will save a bunch of unnecessary headache. This is the voice of Christmas past.

If you have a bunch of sponsors lined up from out of town, free parts up the butt and a place to do this for cheap or free, good luck. If you are fishing for ideas, you have heard mine a couple times.
    you just answered one of my points in your post, you said just paying a shop to do the engine swap, you couldnt afford to sell, well since i put 4wd in mine, i cant afford to do ths aemsame. sorry im wasted riht now but whatever.

i have my reasons as I have said.

talk to Taco Chaser on expedition portal if you understand why im doing this.

There are a handful of people who've broke their shizzle. CV's don't count.

Cheese had a broke ass truck. Its fixed (mostly) now.

Really, if the man's got the will and the way, whats the harm in letting him go?

Blake,

I see that you are set on doing this, and thats cool. I think you've been given all the "don't do it" advice, so I won't bother.

Let me offer something different.

You are talking about some serious hardware. That is cool and all, but have you given thought to what you're really talking about?

You essentially have a buggy suspension planned out. There is a reason buggies don't drive on road at 75, or go real fast in the dirt. They ain't that great at it. They go real slow, really well.

I guess why this confuses me is that it seems totally contradictory to what you say you wish to accomplish. You want to wheel the trails around CO, UT, and wherever you've got gas to go, right? Including expedition stuff? You also seem to want a nice looking body, so I'm going to assume you aren't going to want to run Patriot, Indy, or BV carnage, correct?

What I see from the above is a guy who wants a reliable truck, with strong components, to run 35-37" tires.

So, to me, this screams going down to the junk yard, picking up a set of domestic axles D44's, cleaning them, stuffing cromo inside, and having a good time. Leaf sprung, and hung, and you suddenly have a simple, reliable truck that is unique, not sky high, and is more than capable to run anything you throw at it.

The parts list you put down is what I'd expect to see from Jim Bob building a comp class rock racer, excepting the tube chassis.

Keep in mind that this shizzle NEVER goes down as planned. I don't care if you have Jesus himself do the swap, there will be kinks, and bugs, and issues that are unforeseen. Cheese is hands down the most knowledgeable guy I've ever met when it comes to this shizzle. He's been chasing demons since the swap started.

The simpler you shizzle is, the easier it is to work on, the easier it is to build, the easier it is to find parts for. One off stuff is cool, until it breaks.

Obviously, your truck, and your call, but you could get everything you want out of this without building a circus.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

Cliffnotes to axles post:

Shizzle, shizzle, shizzle, how many times can I say shizzle in one post? :P
    [quote author=fustercluck link=topic=2107.msg22283#msg22283 date=1188483178]<br />I&#39;m with Intrepid, there&#39;s no use making a project out of it.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Mistakes: Perhaps it is the purpose of your life to serve as an example to others.

Quote Originally Posted by AxleIke
    There are a handful of people who've broke their shizzle. CV's don't count.

Cheese had a broke ass truck. Its fixed (mostly) now.

Really, if the man's got the will and the way, whats the harm in letting him go?

Blake,

I see that you are set on doing this, and thats cool. I think you've been given all the "don't do it" advice, so I won't bother.

Let me offer something different.

You are talking about some serious hardware. That is cool and all, but have you given thought to what you're really talking about?

You essentially have a buggy suspension planned out. There is a reason buggies don't drive on road at 75, or go real fast in the dirt. They ain't that great at it. They go real slow, really well.

I guess why this confuses me is that it seems totally contradictory to what you say you wish to accomplish. You want to wheel the trails around CO, UT, and wherever you've got gas to go, right? Including expedition stuff? You also seem to want a nice looking body, so I'm going to assume you aren't going to want to run Patriot, Indy, or BV carnage, correct?

What I see from the above is a guy who wants a reliable truck, with strong components, to run 35-37" tires.

So, to me, this screams going down to the junk yard, picking up a set of domestic axles D44's, cleaning them, stuffing cromo inside, and having a good time. Leaf sprung, and hung, and you suddenly have a simple, reliable truck that is unique, not sky high, and is more than capable to run anything you throw at it.

The parts list you put down is what I'd expect to see from Jim Bob building a comp class rock racer, excepting the tube chassis.

Keep in mind that this shizzle NEVER goes down as planned. I don't care if you have Jesus himself do the swap, there will be kinks, and bugs, and issues that are unforeseen. Cheese is hands down the most knowledgeable guy I've ever met when it comes to this shizzle. He's been chasing demons since the swap started.

The simpler you shizzle is, the easier it is to work on, the easier it is to build, the easier it is to find parts for. One off stuff is cool, until it breaks.

Obviously, your truck, and your call, but you could get everything you want out of this without building a circus.
    thanks for the advice, i may not go all out if it works well.
    i was expecting kinks, happens with anything, nothing goes as planned.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast