Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trimming Rear Wheel wells

Re: Trimming Rear Wheel wells

if you have the access to some tools a lot of people build their own bumpstop extensions, from what i've heard/seen it's relatively easy. search on yotatech i know i've seen one or two, i'd give you the link but i'm banned over there so no getting on haha
    <br /><br />
    883/LC with OME/PC shocks ∙ 2&quot; body lift ∙ ARB bull bar
    ∙ KC/IPF aux lighting ∙ 33&quot; BFG all terrains ∙ custom rocker panels ∙ vortex cherrybomb ∙ couple other things ∙

Quote Originally Posted by SD4runner
    Well, I am assuming you're using the Day star bumpstops? Who else is using aftermarket bumpstops? What are the options?
    I've been using a set of Steve's for several years... http://www.sonoransteel.com/store_su...ump_stops.html
    Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

I took about 1" off of the body seam at the rear of the wheel well. I also build the rear bumper to have more clearance.

For the record, my 315's rub the top of the rear inner fender.
    &#039;00 SR5, &quot;Highlander&quot; <br />Dual Cases, Aisin Hubs, E-Lock&#039;d, Cryo&#039;d, Chromo&#039;d, ARB&#039;d, 315&#039;s, Sonoran Steel Bumper, Lift &amp; UCA&#039;s, 4 Crawl 1&quot; BL, Armored...etc.<br /><br />F-Toy #081 in progress<br />Dual Cases, 30 Splines, 5.71&#039;s, E-lockers, Hydro-Assist, 37&#039;s, DOM Hendrix Chassis, 80Proof, ORS, Sonoran Steel...etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
    For the record, my 315's rub the top of the rear inner fender.
    Mine do that also.
    Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

Thanks for the replies guys.

Do either of you think using the bump stops would actually help my situation then? If you're still rubbing with bump stops, maybe it would be pointless? I still need to compress the rear and measure to see if the shocks are being compressed fully.

Bighead, I notice you are using Fj-80 shocks as well, do you worry about compressing them too far ever?
    1996 4x4 4Runner<br /><br />Suspension: 6&quot; Trailmaster/Fabtech Knuckles/Sonoran Steel shocks/coils. Rear LC coils/shocks<br />Offroad: 315/75/16 MTR&#39;s, ARB, M8000, E-locker, sliders, MV-50 compressor, CBI tire carrier, Cobra CB, Kragen HID&#39;s.

my 315's rub the gas tank filler neck, as well as the leading/trailing corner pieces of the wheel well, and bumper flare piece. only on full stuff though. still use oem bump stops.

i dont think youve got the ltd flares, so there should be more room in your setup. try a bit of massaging on the well corners with a bfh. not much you can trim out back there without reducing the structural integrity of the body/wheel arches.
    sonny<br />1998 4Runner LTD...d0uble locked on 35&#039;s<br />crawlinbc.com

Massaging with a bfh. That sounds kinky. I think I'll try that.

Well, I went redeck style and jacked up the tires. Compression length for the OME LC shocks are @ 14.5". The fenders stopped the compression at about 17". So my bumpstops are my fenders I guess. I was still a good 3-4 inches from my actual bumpstops unfortunately.

What got me more concerned was the full extension of my shocks. Um. I don't think its good for them to be my "limiting straps".

I think I need to really re-think the rear end. No problems yet, but, I haven't really thought about the damage I could do.

Here's some pix tho.

Compressed side. Still got a few inches to go for sure.

Extended side... Yeah, that shock is at its max.. :/

And another behind shot

Would look cooler on a rock...
    1996 4x4 4Runner<br /><br />Suspension: 6&quot; Trailmaster/Fabtech Knuckles/Sonoran Steel shocks/coils. Rear LC coils/shocks<br />Offroad: 315/75/16 MTR&#39;s, ARB, M8000, E-locker, sliders, MV-50 compressor, CBI tire carrier, Cobra CB, Kragen HID&#39;s.

Should I go and buy some limiting straps? I don't see anyone with them in the rear. Bump stops?

Need some help here. I am an idiot and didn't think about this before.... :/

was trying to figure out why your backing plates are so visible. are you running spacers in the back? try taking those out. the rears should be able to tuck inside the wells...even with non ltd's. you should be able to get WAY more flex outta that.

methinks that tires that stick out too much limit suspension travel...
    sonny<br />1998 4Runner LTD...d0uble locked on 35&#039;s<br />crawlinbc.com

Quote Originally Posted by SD4runner
    Should I go and buy some limiting straps? I don't see anyone with them in the rear. Bump stops?

Need some help here. I am an idiot and didn't think about this before.... :/
    Yes you should go buy limiting straps or you will blow out your shocks. I was curious why you were running two sets of bump stops?
    I like your wheels, looks good with the black bumpers.
    God speed,<br />Steve Hanson<br />Racers For Christ<br />Rockcrawlers For Christ<br />www.teamrfc.org<br />--------------------<br />special thanks: bfgoodrich|trail gear|cbi fabrication|total chaos|arb|sway-a-way|aem electronics|lucas oil|trd|baja racks|bassani exhaust|spidertrax

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast