Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trimming Rear Wheel wells

Trimming Rear Wheel wells

Anyone trim the wheel wells in the rear? Specifically the corner bumper pieces that make up the rear of the well? Over the past year, my truck as sagged a little in the rear, and my last trip out was really pissing me off.

Anyone else have this problem? I have a 2" body lift and ~4.5-5" rear lift. I can't understand why I am rubbing so badly yet you guys with half the lift are getting away with it.

I do realize that an aftermarket rear bumper would open up the wells and give some extra room, but, I don't have the money for that.
    1996 4x4 4Runner<br /><br />Suspension: 6&quot; Trailmaster/Fabtech Knuckles/Sonoran Steel shocks/coils. Rear LC coils/shocks<br />Offroad: 315/75/16 MTR&#39;s, ARB, M8000, E-locker, sliders, MV-50 compressor, CBI tire carrier, Cobra CB, Kragen HID&#39;s.

Re: Trimming Rear Wheel wells

cut the rear bumper back about half an inch. mine rub there a little bit.

2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

You cut it, or are you saying I should?

I see a bracket there that stabilizes the side bumper piece. Obviously can't cut that off, and yes, thats only about 1" behind. Guess I'll have to trust my steady hand with the angle grinder
    1996 4x4 4Runner<br /><br />Suspension: 6&quot; Trailmaster/Fabtech Knuckles/Sonoran Steel shocks/coils. Rear LC coils/shocks<br />Offroad: 315/75/16 MTR&#39;s, ARB, M8000, E-locker, sliders, MV-50 compressor, CBI tire carrier, Cobra CB, Kragen HID&#39;s.

i will cut mine someday. i havent seen how much flex i can get out of the rear now that my rear antisway bar is gone (since the elocker swap in dec.)

i cant see you needing to cut out multiple inches of material, by the time you do that youre oging to be cutting into body sheet metal and youll have a whole 'nother problem on your hands with dealing with the wheel well.

bruce has a ton of flex out back, im sure hell chime in here, i dont think he rubs either.

also, do you have the extended bumpstops out back?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Nope, no extended bump stops... I also have no sway bar in the back. I was doing some larger rocks this past weekend, and I was watching my tire completely stuffing deep into the wheel well. My first thought was bump stops.

I'm assuming Bruce's rear bumper allows for more room with the 35's. Could be wrong.

Have you seen my thread on my rear suspension build-up?

The problem with the stock length links is during articulation the drooped wheel moves foward and the stuffed wheel moves back. This is greatly enhanced with more travel. I had to clearance the rear body as well as doing some extra trimming off my bumper.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Sorry, I just PM'ed you, and just realized you replied.

No I have not seen your thread...Can you link for me please?

99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

OK I just checked out that thread. Very informative. Thank you.

Well I am still unsure what bump stops you are using.

I guess I can try hammering stuff if my shocks aren't being compressed too much first, then go ahead and get some bump stops. It was pretty ridiculous how much rubbage I was getting this trip. I felt it nice and strong on pretty much every rock.

Well, I am assuming you're using the Day star bumpstops? Who else is using aftermarket bumpstops? What are the options?

Tomorrow I am going to flex out the rear, measure the distance at full compression of the shocks, and see how far it is from hitting the bumpstops. Try to get a better description on whats going on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast