Installing Burtman Industries Clear Corners

After installing a pair of frosted clear corners that I got from a friend, I removed them after a few months---I wanted to get something that was a closer match to my existing OEM headlamps. Of course, I know many people were very happy with Burtman Industries Clear Corners.

Let me tell you, I was very impressed with the quality of these clear corners. They match the factory headlamps very well. The Burtman clear corners also had a nice rubber gasket too.

This is what it looks like straight out of the box:

Alrighty, enough yappin', here's my how to. It's a very easy one to do, but please read the disclaimer below:

I am providing this "how to" for illustrative purposes only. Perform at your own risk! Any mods (including this one) you perform on your vehicle is your responsibility. Check with your local police department and your city to make sure your modified vehicle complies with local laws.

Step 1: Tools and Supplies
Step 2: Removing, Prepping and Painting the Bulbs (optional)
Step 3: Removing the Old Corners
Step 4: Installing the New Corners

Step 1: Tools & Supplies

Absolutely Essential

- Philips head screwdriver
- Your favorite beer, of course (nothing mechanical here, folks)

Optional should you choose to paint your bulbs:
- Rustoleum Silver High Heat spray paint
- Xacto knife
- Piece of cardboard

The installation of the clear corners is very straightforward, especially if you do not choose to paint your bulbs.

Most people seem to use Raybrig Wedge bulbs (5 watt) for their clear corner bulbs. However, if you choose to paint the amber bulbs that come with the clear corners, continue to step 2.

Step 2: Prepping and Painting the Bulbs

Note: As of 12/02, I really don't recommend this anymore to anyone unless you can get a really THIN layer of paint on it. There are many companies who will make silver-tinted bulbs that will produce the legal orange color when flashing. I just tried this painted bulb idea to see if it would look like the aftermarket "painted" silver bulbs.

Remove the bulbs from the bulb holder (whatever its called) by unscrewing the grey bulb holder a quarter turn and pulling it straight out from the back of the clear corners. Take the bulbs out and clean them off. I used mild soap and water.

I took an old pizza cardboard box (see the tomato sauce stain?) and cut two small slits in it. I just simply placed the bulbs in it so that it not only leaves the bulbs exposed for painting but also protects the filament from the paint.

A word of advice on painting: do a test spray on the cardboard to gauge how much paint comes out. In my haste to paint the first bulb, I sprayed a bit too much. Its best to hold the can about 8 to 10 inches away and lightly "pass" over the bulbs with the paint. All you need is a light coat!

After painting the bulbs, I lightly blow dried the bulbs on low, high heat. The paint cured about 5 minutes later.

Here's what they look like back inside the clears. Not bad, huh?

Step 3: Removing the Old Corners

Open the hood (you do know how to do that, right?) and grab your Philips screwdriver. Unscrew the top screw that holds the corner to the 4runner.

Now firmly pull out the corner straight out towards the front of the 4runner. Note: you might have to use a little force to pop it out. Don't sway it side to side...just pop it straight out. Here's the end result:

Step 4: Installing the Clear Corners

Take your painted bulb (or other 5 watt wedge bulb) and replace the OEM clear bulb. Plug the grey connector/bulb holder back into the Burtman Industries Clear Corners. Give it a quarter twist to lock it into place. Pop it straight back in, fasten the screw back on, and enjoy your new clear corners. And here's the final product:

Lessons learned: if you intend to spray the bulbs, spray very lightly and quickly across. Make multiple passes if you have to. I took a look at the bulbs tonite and one side looks a bit dimmer than the other side. That bulb obviously got a little too much silver paint. However, the other side looks great! I'll have to take the paint off that one bulb and get it right.

If you want to get these lenses, go to Jason's site at Burtman Industries. Jason's a great person and he'll make sure you get the best for your 4runner.