Installing Macneil Weatherflectors
By: Bob_98SR5

Date: 11/19/03

Tools Needed
Your hands

Parts Needed
MacNeil Weatherflectors (front & rear)

Summary
Though I live in a very warm climate, when it does rain, I like to crack the window open a bit. That's a problem, especially if it is rainy. I've seen wind deflectors out on the market for sometime and basically there are two kinds: the stick-on type and the window channel type. While they perform the same function, I strongly believe the window channel type like the Weatherflectors are superior for the following reasons: a) they do not stick to the paint b) they cannot be easily removed and c) they look more "OEM" than the stick-on type.

In this write up, I'm going to illustrate how to install the front driver and passenger side Weatherflectors. This takes some dexterity, but once you understand the principle on how to "anchor" and bend the Weatherflectors in place, its pretty easy.

Step 1: Anchoring and Inserting Half-Way
Open all your windows. Then, place the front edge of your Weatherflectors (hereinafter known as "WFs") inside the rubber window channel as shown below. Next, slowly and carefully insert the upper edge of the WFs about halfway. You will notice that it will become increasingly difficult to insert it into the window channel. Stop at that point. Then insert the top of the other end inside the window channel. See the pictures below:

Anchor the front edge. Notice that the WF edge is angled slightly outwards As you can see, I've inserted the top edge about as far as I can go where my hands are. Once you feel some resistance, insert the other end (O) of the WFs into the window channel as shown.

Step 2: The "Bend"
This is the trickiest part, but dont' be afraid. All it takes is some leverage and the Weatherflectors will slide right in once you correctly bend the WFs the right way. First, in the middle section, put your opposite hand under the WF with an underhand grip. Next, put your other hand on top of the other end of the WF. With your opposite (underhand) hand, pull the WFs *inward* towards the cabin of your 4Runner. Simultaneously, put some inward and upward pressure on the other end of the WF. This simultaneous, leveraging motion will allow the WF to slide easily into the window channel. You can wiggle it in the beginning to "get the feel" and then you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Use your underhanded grip to pull inwards *towards the INSIDE* of the cabin. Use your other hand to push inwards and upwards. Do this all in a simultaneous motion and it will slide right in! Use both hands to guide the top edges into the window channels. You may also need to reverse grip as I have in this picture.

Step 3: The Rear WFs
These are the easiest: just tilt them one end higher and slide them upwards. Piece of cake.

As always email me with any questions, inaccuracies, or alternate suggestions.