Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temperature Control Dial Problems

Temperature Control Dial Problems

It's been cold lately and after some trips to the snow the heater is getting a work out. Problem I'm having is the dial on the temperature control. In a clockwise motion (cold to hot) it only moves about 80% of what it should. At about that 80% mark the dial experiences a "soft stop." I can force it to 100% (all the way hot) and when I do it sounds as if there is a click, more of a crack sound. I haven't found that after forcing it that last bit gets me any more heat and at the 80% mark the heater is outputing only warm air where as before it was hot.

I'd like to have that last bit of heat so it's time to fix something. I removed the stereo to check around the entire control area and found nothing binding or obstructing. Is it worth taking the assembly apart? From the exterior everything appears normal with nothing broken. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Re: Temperature Control Dial Problems

sounds like some cables need adjusting, behind the control unit. i think it'd be worth it to dismantle the dash in an attempt to fix the issue. i would.

i would also make sure this was done near a heater (it's 14* outside right now)
    1996 SR5 4Runner
    3.4 5speed 4x4 165k

can you see where the cable runs to on the duct work behind the dash?
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

i have had my ac controls apart a few times, i think i know the problem.

there are two cables for the temperature control. the easiest one to see and reach is on the fire wall, directly behind the engine. you will see heater hoses going up to a valve.

the other cable goes to the cold air door on the HVAC unit in the dash. i dont remember exactly where (i will go look for you later) but you should be able to see it looking towards the center console area from the passenger footwell, its way up there, just to the left of the blower motor.

either one of these out of alignment could cause that (i had a problem of no heat because the cold air cable came unclipped and wouldnt allow me to close it).

here is what i would do. look under the glovebox and check to see that the cable is even in the clip.

after that, i would go about resetting the system. unclip both the hot and cold controls (engine bay and under the hvac unit), turn it to full cold and observe where the cables go, and put each valve there manually (closing the heater core off and opening the cold air door fully) and reclip the cables, then check to see the hot operates correctly.

if you need, i can get you pictures. just let me know.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Thanks guys I'll have to check it out. I can't say when the problem started but it was after I installed my HAM radio. In the little bit of work I've done I've removed the radio to see if it was binding anything and even with it the knob still doesn't turn full swing. I'll try to make time tonight to check out what has been mentioned. I'm wondering if my long legged wife knocked something loose in the passegner footwell area.

Sean I might need some pictures as this stuff is new to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    I'm wondering if my long legged wife knocked something loose in the passegner footwell area.
    my soon to be wife doesnt have long legs (quite the contrary!) but some how it got knocked loose. ill get pictures for you, that way even if you dont need them, they are here for someone who might.

here are the pictures. the first of each is a general location picture, the second a close up. these pictures were taken with the knob set to it's coldest setting (all the way left)

hot:

cold:

i do not directly recall how the hot control unhooks from the sheath holder, but you should be able to figure it out.

the cold one simply has a little lever you press to loosen its grip, and you can pull it straight down. careful not to snap off the little nubs the eye hooks onto.

the best way to reset is to set your controls to cold, and note if the eye is extended or retracted. remove both cables from the sheath holders (you can leave the eyes on) and set the controls to hot, and manually push the levers to what would be the hot position. carefully reattach the sheaths. check to make sure everything works and there is no major binding.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 05:00 PM.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Why don't you just use Marin's 12V heat blanket? That should keep you toasty.

haha ken!

im adding heated seats to mine before next winter!

Thanks Sean that is a big help. Things came up last night that prevented me from checking out my set up but with the pics I'll do it tonight.

I have to find that blanket for Marin, I hope we still have it. I wired in her own 12 socket under the passenger side seat of the truck for it. I know that thing would get hot because it would heat the cab.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz

[img width=800 height=600]http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae38/hamiltonfabrication/IMG_3087.jpg[/img]
    Thank you Sean, you pictures helped a ton. The cables were attached and after futz'n with the dial while looking at the ends of the 2 cables I noticed that the "cold" cable in the footwell was hanging up. The white plastic piece is really quite large and has 2 pivots along with another arm that controls something via a long spring. Anywho, the control box for my Cobra 75 lives down there and the white arm would catch on it. It's since been moved out of the way. I'm glad I didn't break anything at the dial forcing it over the past few months.

Thanks again for the pics and everyone for their suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast