Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FIguring Out Gearing

Re: FIguring Out Gearing

Quote Originally Posted by Argohof
    Ummm... sorry if this is a GIRLY question, but since I AM...:P
    I just bought an 88 4Runner, V6/auto for my stepdaughter, and her know-it-all brother is already giving her guff, complaining that it's not shifting properly, it has a tach (yea!) so is there a general guideline as to when it should shift?
    THX and sorry if I'm posting in the wrong spot...
    Welcome to the forum! Do you know what the issues are with the tranny?

The A340 transmissions don't shift into OD when the engine is cold. For some reason they were designed this way, and I guess it's supposed to help the engine warm up quicker.

There isn't really any set RPM for the tranny to shift at. It uses various sensor inputs to determine when to shift (throttle position sensor, speed sensors, coolant temp sensor iirc, and probably a few others). The shift points would vary depending on driving style.

But, just for comparison, my undergeared V6/auto tends to shift into each gear around 2500-3000rpms with my driving style and ECT on. Maybe a bit lower when going into OD. If I'm driving slower around my neighborhood, my shift points may only be around the 2000 mark, maybe lower.

Also, having the ECT on changes the shift points and makes driving the 3.0 a bit more tolerable.

Just my $.02
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Re: FIguring Out Gearing

^Yep. During warm up it'll bog down to make the transmission and engine work harder to bring it all up to operating temps faster..that's a good thing.

As for shift point scheduling, yes, 2500-3000 on that year w/ the ECT button in the on position, sometimes even as high as 3500. With the ECT off it can go from 2000-2750. The ECT will also cost you a couple of miles in mpg.

There's an assortment of modifications available for that setup, but in my opinion and experience after having sank a ton of play money into it all, none can replace just living with it (providing all is well in the transmission and engine) or just doing a 5 speed conversion or 3.4l/Auto or 5 speed swap..then again the money you'd spend there can afford a used 96+ 4Runner or truck with the 3.4 and auto already in it. (My 5 speed swap I won't disclose what I paid, but it is worth about $8,000 with parts and hop-ups before you even factor in the vehicle and other stuff I've done to it, and it still looks near stock.)

*Offer the 4Runner to your Son if he gives an equivalent or slightly more valuable vehicle b/c honestly he likely wants it for himself..boys are like that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123