Thread: Wheel Spacers??

Wheel Spacers??

Just how safe are wheel spacers? Im still in the stages of putting together funds for a lift kit but my tires will be done in before I get all the way there so I am going to have to make that purchase first. My problem is though that I want to get bigger tires than the 265/75/16 which is the max I could go without any lift.

I was thinking I could get by for now with spacers on all 4 corners but I am just curious how safe they are. Any drawbacks to having them on? I see most are made of aluminum. Has there been any known problems with running a spacer setup? I was thinking 1-2" and then seeing how big a tire I could go with that. (any comments on that as well?)

I really dont want to spend money on 2 sets of tires this year
    <br />98 4Runner Limited<br />1999 Suzuki GSXR750 - Sold Apr/08

Re: Wheel Spacers??

you will still only be able to fit 265 75 16's... unless you wanna trim A LOT.
    96 4Runner, 4in OME/LC lift (883&#039;s w/ top plate spacer, Land Cruiser&#039;s 8 coil) 2in Body Lift 315/75/16&#039;s. rear e-locker&nbsp; <br />I UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE JEEP THING THATS WHY I HAVE A TOYOTA!!

when your tires are cooked, buy some used tires, or ask the tire shop if they have any take offs around....
    get those, then lift, then big tires.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

you may be able to run some 255/85/16, a 33x10.5. wheel spacers are safe if you have them torqued correctly. i have my fronts on right now and my rears will go on soon.

but id wait till your tires are to a point where its almost unsafe to drive on them, dont wait any longer but just keep that in mind.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

I've been running 2" spacers allround for about three years now. No problems so far. one thing you need to think about is the possibility that the inner lugnuts might come loose and you will never know until its too late. Make sure to use red LocTite on your inner studs.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that the front spacers did cause my wheel bearings to loosen up prematurely.
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

We have high quality Toyota wheel spacers. Check the website.

I really like my wheel spacers. I use blue loctite on them though, and properly torque them so you're rotors don't warp.
    1996 4x4 4Runner<br /><br />Suspension: 6&quot; Trailmaster/Fabtech Knuckles/Sonoran Steel shocks/coils. Rear LC coils/shocks<br />Offroad: 315/75/16 MTR&#39;s, ARB, M8000, E-locker, sliders, MV-50 compressor, CBI tire carrier, Cobra CB, Kragen HID&#39;s.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankota

I'm not 100% sure but I think that the front spacers did cause my wheel bearings to loosen up prematurely.
    Has anyone else had problems with spacers causing their bearing to wear out faster than expected?
    <br />98 4Runner Limited<br />1999 Suzuki GSXR750 - Sold Apr/08