Written: 10/12/05
Vehicle: 1998 4Runner

Parts
Precision Interface Electronics ALP/AI-3.5M

Tools & Supplies
Drill with 8mm socket heat
Philips screwdriver

Disclaimer
I am providing this write up for illustrative purposes only. Perform at your own risk. Any mods (including this one) you perform on your vehicle is your responsibility. Commercial use of this write up will result in legal action as well as the undying scorn from members of the online Toyota 4Runner community. You've been warned.

Summary
This mod is very easy and doesn't require an extensive writeup, but there were a lot of "little things" that novices might not get the first time, so that is why I'm documenting this in a writeup. Also, while this information might be useful now, I'm sure it will be outdated within a matter of months. For example at the time of this writing, VW is already creating OEM headunits that have input jacks for iPods. But if you have an aftermarket Alpine stereo like I do and want to integrate your iPod to it, read on.

While there are many different hardware solutions for integrating your iPod to your Versalink-capable (Ai-net) Alpine headunit using either Alpine hardware or third party hardware, I'd like to spend the time explaining the pros and cons of the PIE ALP/AI-3.5M only. For starters, one of the reason why I chose this cable is that I was looking for a cable or hardware solution that would still allow me to control the song selection and other menu options through the ipod. The PIE cable does that for you at less than $30.00 shipped. In addition, it is a simple solution that does not require alot of space like the Alpine-built hardware.

However, one of the greatest limitations of the cable is that it does not have the capability to recharge the ipod while you are using it. Now there are PIE hardware solutions that do both, but I'll leave that up to you to research it.

So with that, if you'd like to integrate your iPod with your Versalink-capable Alpine CDA series head unit, this is a high quality, cost-effective solution that you should consider looking into.

Step 1: Removing the Radio Panel Fascia
Begin by removing the bottom shifter panel. Pop up the shifter panel by grabbing the bottom portion and pulling upwards. Note: You do not actually need to remove the shift knobs, but if you'd like to remove them all to make it easier to access everything, be my guest.

Remove cover by pulling upwards and forward

Optional: remove shift knobs (K)

Next, remove the knobs and dials from the HVAC control face by simply pulling them off. Stick you finger in the center hole and pull forward. By doing so, the AC control button will slightly pop out. Remove that and then carefully unsnap the HVAC control panel face. After removing the panel face, remove the two philips screws located on either side of the now-removed panel face.

Remove knobs, dials and AC buttons (A, L and D)

Remove harnesses (H)
To remove the radio panel fascia, lift from the bottom and unsnap the panel upwards. Next, remove the three harnesses behind the upper left side. Tilt the panel off to the right to expose the Alpine stereo. Using an 8mm socket, remove the four bolts that hold the head unit and pull out head unit.

Remove radio panel fascia by pulling towards you and then upwards

This Dewalt extension was really handy when used with the 8mm socket

Step 2: Setting Up Your Auxiliary Feature and Other Settings

There are a few hardware and internal "software" settings that must be correctly set in order to allow the integration to work. On the bottom of the head unit, make sure the switch on the bottom is set to "Norm".

Set the Ai-NET switch to "NORM"

Next, follow the next steps to activate your headunit's "Auxiliary" setting:

1. Hold the F-Setup button on the head unit until you get menu options.
2. Using the or arrows, scroll until you get to the "AUX ON/OFF" setting and select "AUX ON". Finalize your choice by pressing "Source"
3. Using the or arrows, scroll until you get your AUX display name choices (AUX, TV, DVD). I selected 'AUX'

Now that you've set up your headunit, plug the Ai-net plug from the cable and snap it into the Ai-net port. Next, run the cable downwards towards the bottom of the ashtray and run it through there. Of note, this is the only area in the radio panel that has a large enough hole to run the 3.5mm input cable towards the cabin area.

Plug (P) goes into your iPod and plug (A) goes into the Ai-NET port

Ai-NET port (A)

Step 3: Mounting Options and Playing Your iPod

To use the iPod, plug in the 3.5mm plug into the bottom of your iPod's input port. Next, press "Source" until you reach "AUX". Now using the iPod with the headunit is just like using your iPod with headphones. Thus, consider your headunit as a giant headphone. Meaning, if you press "Pause" on your iPod, the headunit will not receive audio signal and not play music. Moreover, if you jog the dial to increase the volume, the headunit will directly relay that action by increasing the volume.

I ran the cable (C) through this opening below the ash tray

Here's where I hid and store my iPod

My iPod Nano is small and light enough to manipulate the dial while still safely operating the vehicle. One possible area to mount the iPod might be the radio panel itself. However, there is not a single flat surface on it that has a backing that can support the iPod while pushing the dial. So for now, I am not creating a custom mount for it and only storing it in the DIN pocket below the Alpine head unit.