Thread: CAD with a laptop?

CAD with a laptop?

My g/f got a new job that will require basic CAD. We were told that CAD programs do not run so well with a lot of laptops, any truth to that? She would prefer a laptop if it can be done. If so, are there any laptops that you recommend? Her work is going to pay for it, I don't think she wants to go completely crazy with the cost, but doesn't want to get a POS either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Condell<br /><br />1996 3.4L 4wd 4Runner SR5<br />TJM-15<br />Hella 500<br />Silverstars

Re: CAD with a laptop?

its not the fact that its a laptop that makes it bad for CAD, desktops can be just as bad. its all about the processor speeds, amount of RAM, and amount of video RAM in it. personally my macbook (when booted into windows) runs AutoCAD, SolidWorks, and UG just fine. this is a 2ghz core due, 2 gigs of ram and doesnt even have its own video card, its shared memory (which is about as low and cheap as you can go). i'd look for something with 2 gigs of ram (or buy less and upgrade yourself for cheaper), at least a 1.8ghz core 2 duo, and its own video card. good luck!
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by drguitarum2005
    i'd look for something with 2 gigs of ram (or buy less and upgrade yourself for cheaper), at least a 1.8ghz core 2 duo, and its own video card. good luck!
    That's exactly what I'm running at work. We'll be upgrading to 4 gigs of ram soon, but my system works pretty well right now.

What cad program will she be using? We're using AutoCAD 07 with a second civil design program that integrates with the CAD. We see a fair number of glitches, but it's pretty stable for the most part.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

I've used AutoCAD on all my laptops and never had any issues
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Everyone nailed it. As long as you have a reasonable processor, a decent amount of RAM and upgraded video, it will run just fine. I have an HP with a 2.0 Ghz Centrino chip with 2 Gb RAM & Mobility Radeon 9200 video - I have been running AutoCAD for years on this setup.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

I've only used CAD on desktops, but I know several people that use it on laptops. I don't think there is any problem with it.

Personally, I would try to find one with a descent processor (Intell E6600 or something similar with 4M cache or better), at least 2GB RAM, and a dedicated graphics card.

The desktop PC that I've used AutoCAD 2006 on has the E6600 Core 2 Duo processor, 2Gb RAM, and a ATI Radeon card, and it works great for AutoCAD. I do a lot of 3D stuff too.

Anyways, just my $.02.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Make sure she gets a docking station and a second monitor. Having a second monitor for cad is the best thing since sliced bread.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    Make sure she gets a docking station and a second monitor. Having a second monitor for cad is the best thing since sliced bread.
    Great point, dual monitors are the only way to go.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

x 2 on dual monitors, BUT you don't need a docking station. Most laptops can drive an external monitor from the VGA out. I'm powering a Dell 24" FP with mine. Works great!
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

I appreciate the replies and info. I figured it being a laptop shouldn't have anything to do with the actual running of a program, and thought it was more of a hardware issue, but wanted to make sure. As for the programs, I think she mentioned AutoCAD (edition, IDK), and another that has slipped my mind. I do know that it will be in 3D. So a minimum of 2gb ram, with Intel E6600 Core 2, and a dedicated graphics card would work well. She had planned on looking for a docking station and monitor. She feels it would be more "familiar" as this will be her first laptop. As for the dual monitors, she is willing if her work is. If not I'm hoping to be getting a new CPU and monitor by the end of the summer and it will probably wait till then. Again I thank all you for your info.
    -Condell
    Condell<br /><br />1996 3.4L 4wd 4Runner SR5<br />TJM-15<br />Hella 500<br />Silverstars