Thread: Clutch going out? not slipping...

Clutch going out? not slipping...

OK so I'm putting this in newb questions because I'm thinking it has to be something simple. My 97 5spd 4runner has just under 100k on it. And most of the time when i first start it and put it in 1st to take off it does this wierd thing. The closest I can describe it is it acts like i'm 16 trying to learn to drive a stick, and almost stalling it. Even if I give it more than normal amount of gas it does the jerking almost stall thing. Once it's warmed up it seems fine, and even cold the rest of the gears are fine. After 15+ years of driving a manual I've only had to replace one clutch and that one showed that it was failing by slipping, I can't get this one to slip so I think the clutch is good. I don't think it matters, but I hardly drive it anymore, it sits on the uphill driveway for days at a time between trips if that matters.

Anyway, I hope someone has some good ideas about what could be making it act this way.
    Brian

Re: Clutch going out? not slipping...

I think there is an inspection cover you can take off and look at the disk.

mine is kind of rough like that in 1st gear until it gets warmed up too. its pretty annoying...

This is pretty strange. I've never heard of anything like it before.
    One thing I was thinking though, could the friction discs have oil contamination from the tranny or something. Maybe this is causing rough opperation untill the flywheel warms up.
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline