By: Bob_98SR5
Date: October 29, 2003

Tools & Supplies

Scissors
Black felt
3M Double-sided tape
Pen

Disclaimer

I am providing this write up for illustrative purposes only. Perform at your own risk. Any mods (including this one) you perform on your vehicle is your responsibility. Commercial use of this write up will result in legal action as well as the undying scorn from members of the online Toyota 4Runner community. You've been warned.

Summary
This write up is quick and easy one that will help silence the clicking and clanging of the change in your ashtray (if you use it that way like I do) when you hit a bump. The felt and the double-sided tape act as a "cushion" inside the ashtray itself and does a good job at that.

Step 1: Removing the Parts
Pull out your ashtray and dump out the change. For easier access to the parts, push the retaining pin from left to right and remove the pin, spring and metal plate. Remember how the spring aligns to the pin and the plate. However, if your hands are small enough or you have the dexterity to do this mod without taking this parts off, my hats off to you.

Using a pen, push this pin out from left to right

Here's a shot of the 3M double-sided tape

Step 2: Cutting the Felt
Cut the felt to the following (approximate) dimensions. See the pic below:

This is the dimensions for the top metal plate

This is the dimensions for the bottom plastic ashtray

Do a test fitting and trim as necessary.

Step 3: Applying the Felt

Cut strips of 3M double-sided tape. Your best bet is to cut them one by one and apply.

Here is the pattern I laid for the 3M tape

Here's a shot of the felt applied (top part is hard to see)

Covering the sides of the ashtray will make it super quiet, but I did not find it necessary. You may choose to cut addtional pieces and apply as you see fit.