Thread: Noisey Diff... need advice

Noisey Diff... need advice

My rear diff has become really loud in the last few months. I was listening with a stethoscope, loudest near the pinion. I'm thinking about changing the outer pinion bearing since its easy to do. Anybody had any luck with this?

I don't really want to spend the big money on the entire diff rebuild If I do then maybe its time for a locker...

Thanks in advance,
    Chris
    1996 Tacoma<br />2.5 inch suspension<br />3 inch body<br />Dayton Timberline 33X12.50R15<br />Custom Mercedes Benz HID headlight conversion

Re: Noisey Diff... need advice

How are you listening to the diff while it's in motion?

Quote Originally Posted by all_terrain17
    How are you listening to the diff while it's in motion?
    I've done it before, support the rear end on jackstands and put it in gear. If you need to load it, have someone give it while stepping on the brakes.

What kind of noise is it, does it seem like gear rattle or bearing whine.
    I imagine you've checked your diff oil and ruled out low fluid levels already.
    Also, see if there seems like excessive rotational play in the driveline with the park brake set.

As for bearing change, I've never had to do that to mine so iI dont know much about it.
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

I had the truck up on a hoist with the apprentice driving.

It is a loud and low pitch bearing whine, no excessive backlash, and yes the fluid is topped up and reasonably new.

When I was listening with the stethoscope noise was loudest near pinion.

Any idea how long these diffs last without a rebuild? I have 285000km
    1996 Tacoma<br />2.5 inch suspension<br />3 inch body<br />Dayton Timberline 33X12.50R15<br />Custom Mercedes Benz HID headlight conversion

Quote Originally Posted by GOLDS
    Any idea how long these diffs last without a rebuild? I have 285000km
    What would that be in miles. Mine had about 240,000 miles before I geared and locked them, it was still running just fine.
    I think you could be almost 100% thats its the pinyon bearing just worn out. I know trucks with a nose high diff angle are more likely to burn pinyon bearings. I take it yours is stock locating.
    This might just be the perfect excuse for low gears and lockers.
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

probably your pinion bearing. pull it out, and have it rebuilt w/ new bearings. might as well throw in an aussie or whatever while its cracked open. with regular fluid change and maintenance, they should last well into the 500+KM. been in the dunk lately? got proper breathers too?
    sonny<br />1998 4Runner LTD...d0uble locked on 35&#039;s<br />crawlinbc.com