Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaving front end bumpstops......?

Shaving front end bumpstops......?

Why hasn't anyone done this? I'm assuming there must be something bad that would happen. Over compression of front shocks?!

Basically, I took some rough measurements, and calculated that if you shaved .5" from the front bump stops, you'd be getting 1.5" of UPWARD wheel travel. (Measured at the center of the tire). Right now, my bump stops are only 1" away from the "stops". Seems like a cheap way of adding an extra 1.5" of travel.

If you're in my situation, where my geometry is pretty much at stock location, would you try this? Would this be detrimental to the shocks?

1996 4x4 4Runner<br /><br />Suspension: 6&quot; Trailmaster/Fabtech Knuckles/Sonoran Steel shocks/coils. Rear LC coils/shocks<br />Offroad: 315/75/16 MTR&#39;s, ARB, M8000, E-locker, sliders, MV-50 compressor, CBI tire carrier, Cobra CB, Kragen HID&#39;s.

Re: Shaving front end bumpstops......?

you would probably bottom out the shocks, but more importantly, you would bind the ball joints w/ too much upward travel as well as get the tires into the sheetmetal.
    -andy

It has been done. You can buy low profile bumpstops. I believe Energy Suspension carries em. In various bling colors of urethane. I wouldnt advise going too low.

i think those low-profile bump stops are for the 2nd gens, right?

he's talking about a 3rd gen...
    -andy

If its got bumpstops then I bet there are shorter ones out there. This is definitly not new science, in the world of IFS travel. Just shave them away to a world of better travel and carnage!

You all have to remember he's running the 6" Trailmaster and a 2" body lift, so it's can be done. For a stock vehicle, the tire will contact the sheetmetal. Like mentioned you'll have to see if the upper ball joint can handle the extra travel, but if I recall it should not be a problem.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Thanks for the replies.

Well, considering I don't have an upper ball joint (it was replaced with the 2nd strut assembly) I won't worry about that. I have at least another 3-4 inches before that bottoms out. But, there's always that lower ball joint. Hmm... I don't wanna be screwing up ball joints.

Funny how I had to make longer bumpstops for the rear, but, I want to shave the fronts.. hmm.
    1996 4x4 4Runner<br /><br />Suspension: 6&quot; Trailmaster/Fabtech Knuckles/Sonoran Steel shocks/coils. Rear LC coils/shocks<br />Offroad: 315/75/16 MTR&#39;s, ARB, M8000, E-locker, sliders, MV-50 compressor, CBI tire carrier, Cobra CB, Kragen HID&#39;s.

Quote Originally Posted by SD4runner
    Well, considering I don't have an upper ball joint
    yes you do have an upper ball joint...... how else is the upper A-arm supposed to pivot?

The lower ball joint will never be an issue, it can handle much more travel that you'll ever achieve.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Thats the problem with the TM kit. It eliminates the upper a-arm. Instead it uses a strut which moves vertically up and down and is "armored" by large steel supports.

Here's a pic taken from WATRD's website.

Weird, eh?

And I thought I had seen everything Talk about screwing up a perfectly good suspension design...... No wonder there are a few who want to remove them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast