Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPOT Handheld Satellite Messenger

SPOT Handheld Satellite Messenger

Sierra Expeditions is now carrying the SPOT Handheld Satellite Messenger

We've all heard horror stories about being stranded sans a cellphone (or a signal), SPOT Inc. has introduced the simply-titled SPOT, which operates as a personal GPS-enabled tracking device to inform relatives, friends, and emergency personnel of your status. Among the features are a 911 button that automatically calls in help and gives them your exact location, an Ask for Help button that beams up friends / family, a Check In selection that informs contacts that you're a-okay, and a Track Progress option that sends your location to a Google Map that relatives can monitor. The unit itself is powered by a pair of AA cell batteries, weighs just seven-ounces, floats on water, and is rugged enough to handle most any encounter. Price wise, the SPOT will run you $149.99 along with a $99 "service fee," but monthly and multi-year options will purportedly be available soon.

Wil Kuhns<br />Sierra Expeditions <br /><br />The only regrets in life are the risks you didn&#039;t take.<br /><br />Mod Progress Gauge: [|||||||||-] = 90% Complete as of 03 FEB 2008. My Taco&#039;s Garage

Re: SPOT Handheld Satellite Messenger

I'll have to take a look at one of these!

I'd like to see what the monthly/yearly rates are. I'd probably move towards monthly and just pay when I am planning on being gone rather than pay for a whole year when I'm really only out and about a fraction of the year.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Wil, that's great! I won't have to order it from REI now, I already got my wife stoked on this. She gets worried when me and my son go to death valley, mojave, etc..., she's even got some of her other mommy friends excited about this. I'll be ordering one soon.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by oly884
    I'll have to take a look at one of these!

I'd like to see what the monthly/yearly rates are. I'd probably move towards monthly and just pay when I am planning on being gone rather than pay for a whole year when I'm really only out and about a fraction of the year.
    You can see the pricing here, but unfortunately they have not released a date for the monthly plan.

I would advise adding the GEOS Search & Rescue Benefits at the initial activation to avoid the large SAR fees.
    Wil Kuhns<br />Sierra Expeditions <br /><br />The only regrets in life are the risks you didn&#039;t take.<br /><br />Mod Progress Gauge: [|||||||||-] = 90% Complete as of 03 FEB 2008. My Taco&#039;s Garage

Wil, This is great.
    I can travel with ease now and not have to worry about the cell ringing of the hook with people asking me where I am when I am on trips.

Mom is all for it!

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Wil, that's great! I won't have to order it from REI now, I already got my wife stoked on this. She gets worried when me and my son go to death valley, mojave, etc..., she's even got some of her other mommy friends excited about this. I'll be ordering one soon.
    Awesome Chris!! Just watch the fees associated with the unit.. Potentially it could add up to $157.93 per year in fees, if you opt for the tracking using google maps and the GEOS Search & Rescue Benefit

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    Wil, This is great.
    I can travel with ease now and not have to worry about the cell ringing of the hook with people asking me where I am when I am on trips.

Mom is all for it!
    Again it is a great product, but there are also monthly fees that are associated with the technology involved to make this work. I would like to make sure that prior to purchasing a SPOT you all are aware of the such fees.

There is one required fee of $99.99 for a year of service.
    • ALERT 9-1-1: Dispatch emergency responders to your exact location. Unlimited usage included.
    • CHECK IN: Let contacts know where you are and that you’re okay. Unlimited usage included.
    • ASK FOR HELP: Request help from friends and family at your exact location. Unlimited usage included.

There are also two upgrades available for the plan:
    • TRACK PROGRESS ($49.99 per year):
      Send and save your location and allow contacts to track your progress using Google Maps
    • GEOS Search & Rescue Benefit:$7.95/yr USD (if purchased at initial activation. $150.00 USD afterwards):Provides up to $100,000 USD of additional search and rescue resources, including helicopter extraction around the world and reimbursement benefits – underwritten by Lloyd’s of London – for any emergency service expenses incurred. For more information, including terms and conditions, visit http://www.geosalliance.com/sar

So that could be upto $157.93 per year in fees that may easily be overlooked. IMO it is well worth it for the peacr of mind for you and the ones left at home. The SAR benefit is worth every penny IMO.

When you think about it at a rate of $13 a month (essentially satellite radio cost) it's not a bad deal at all!
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Quote Originally Posted by oly884
    When you think about it at a rate of $13 a month (essentially satellite radio cost) it's not a bad deal at all!
    x2!

not bad at all, maybe when i start doing more true wilderness stuff.

however, im one who always leaves detailed plans of where i will be, etc. and i always try to familiarize myself with ways out of where i am, closest highways, and whatnot.

for me, thats a pretty steep expense right now, for something i dont really need right now.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast