Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you use your winch?

How often do you use your winch?

For those that have winches, how often do you use it? Is it something more of a want than a need?

thanks

Re: How often do you use your winch?

It really depends on what you do..... I lost count on how many times I've used mine
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Hey Bruce, thanks for chiming in. Do you mind me asking which winch you have? And do you find it does the job well? I was looking at the Warn M8000 and the XD9000. I can't imagine needing more than 8000lbs. I mean the trucks don't even weight that much.

it's a good idea to have a winch capable of working 1.5x your vehicle's weight...

How much Winch do you need?

Recommended winch capacity over vehicle weight. Typically manufacturers and resellers will suggest you should calculate the winch rating by taking the gross vehicle weight and multiplying it by 1.5 and that would be your minimum winch size. But this minimum rating is just that, a minimum. Certain factors can quickly cause your winch capacity to be exceeded so you need to think about your intended usage. Be aware that certain terrains and situations can put a much greater demand on a winch over the typical 1.5 multiplication rule of thumb. For instance a common cause for winching is mud. Mud however has an incredible suction force on a stuck vehicle and in many cases that 1.5 rule of thumb is far inadequate. Steep hills and frequent winching also put great demand on an electric winch. Understanding the purpose and safe use of winch accessories such as a snatch block can be invaluable when you need it most.
    i've got an m8000. been happy with it. haven't used it on myself yet, but have helped out some other trucks with it. there will likely be a day I need it for myself and that's especially when i'll feel it was money well spent. sort of an "insurance" policy, ya know

Thanks for that article. Makes my search much easier.

I also have a Warn M8000. So far i have only used it on others. Like Charles said, one day i just may need it for myself, and it will all be worth it then. Check out www.winchdepot.com. I got my M8000 shipped from them for 550. I have even seen it on that site for as low as 505 shipped.
    Any of you like Guns? Hit me up for great prices! www.gunsupfirearms.com

I don't have one on my 4runner yet but when I had it on my truck I used it all the time. I've used it on myself, others, old trees and bushes as well as a big dumpster at my old work. I liked knowing it was out there on the bumper though. Nothing worse than getting stuck alone and wondering if you'll have to spend the night somewhere. Damn, I miss those days.

Don't have one, but wish I did. I would probably go more extreme if I had one. If I had one I would probably roll my truck, just because I have one. I do have a wench, and she can dig pretty good, and tow a 8k comalong line up a hill.

The 1.5x rule is definitely a good rule to follow. Though the bigger the winch the heavier it gets so keep that in mind too. Just keep a snatch block and that'll instantly double your pulling power
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Rule 1.5x, 2 blocks for 2-way blocking, 160' spool, 4 straps, 2 clevis, a good eyelet on your bumber around center of winch ( for blocking ).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast