Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filling Tires with Nitrogen at home?

Filling Tires with Nitrogen at home?

I have read the benefits of filling your tires with Nitrogen (improved wear, mileage, pressure consistency, temp) so I am considering this for my truck when I replace the tires soon as it could really help out in the cold winter temps and hot humid summer temps we get here on Ontario Canada

My question is though since there seems to be one MAJOR draw back. If I am planning on Airing down and then need to air up on my way home, is there a kit that will allow you do refill on your own? Or will I constantly have to fill up with regular air, then go to a refilling stating (my local Toyota dealer offers this) to get the nitrogen put back in?
    <br />98 4Runner Limited<br />1999 Suzuki GSXR750 - Sold Apr/08

Re: Filling Tires with Nitrogen at home?

You realize the air you're breathing is already 80% nitrogen, right? The nitrogen thing is a myth perpetuated by people trying to sell you something. There is nothing inherently different about N2 that will significantly improve wear, mileage, or temperature.

All you have to do is make sure your tires are at the proper pressure and you gain all the "advantages" of nitrogen, but for free.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    You realize the air you're breathing is already 80% nitrogen, right? The nitrogen thing is a myth perpetuated by people trying to sell you something. There is nothing inherently different about N2 that will significantly improve wear, mileage, or temperature.

All you have to do is make sure your tires are at the proper pressure and you gain all the "advantages" of nitrogen, but for free.
    X2
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

x2.

that "nitrogen is better" is a total scam, and is complete bullcrap. Nitrogen is good in shocks.

As for on board systems to get gas to go in tires, CO2 is far superior to N2 as for the same 20lb tank, you get MANY more fills out of a CO2 systems than nitrogen. Or you can just get an air pump.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

I guess that makes mine x3
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

I have a 76cu. ft. bottle of nitrogen in my truck as my on board air system. I get the nitrogen from work for free. That is the only reason i use it. Otherwise i would use a compressor and regular old air. Nitrogen definitely has its benefits though. For one, it cant be beat at the track. I use nitrogen in all my vehicles including my Gixxer 1000. At the track i never have to worry about my tire pressures which are very important. There is no difference between cold and hot tire temps with nitrogen. Check it once and be done with it. The air up times are also awesome with my setup. I can air up all 4 tires from 18lbs to 40lbs in like 3 minutes. Its great.
    Any of you like Guns? Hit me up for great prices! www.gunsupfirearms.com

Centuries of science says that all gases change pressure with a change of temperature. That's a fact that cannot be disputed.

Nitrogen is also an inert gas at all temperatures, not just "extreme" ones.

I will concede that it does something. N2 will purge out most of the moisture in the air. The moisture can cause larger fluctuations in pressure than just the fact that you're using N2. Depending on how good your air dryer is on your compressor (or if you even have one) it can do the same thing or close enough for daily driver work.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by 4runnerchevy
    Nitrogen is an inert gas at extreme temperatures. It doesn't increase in pressure or decrease in pressure at extreme temps. Thats why it is used in tires that go fast. It is also used at high altitude and cold regions for pneumatics. To say it is a wise tale or a scam is ridiculous. At our low speeds as in crawlers, it is not as much an issue. To someone maintaining high speeds or in different climates it is very important.
    Steve is right, no gasses are exempt from the basic laws of physics which govern the behavior of all gasses when exposed to variations in temps or volumes. Nitrogen was originally use in aircraft tires due the fact it is inert and if the tires did catch on fire, the gas filling the tire would not suddenly create a fireball as the tire ruptured. Most of the other claims are unfounded and in general filling your tires with nitrogen does not benefit your or the environment.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by 4runnerchevy
    Nitrogen is an inert gas at extreme temperatures. It doesn't increase in pressure or decrease in pressure at extreme temps. Thats why it is used in tires that go fast. It is also used at high altitude and cold regions for pneumatics. To say it is a wise tale or a scam is ridiculous . At our low speeds as in crawlers, it is not as much an issue. To someone maintaining high speeds or in different climates it is very important.

Basic physics of gases states that the volume pressure and temperature of gases is determinted by the equation: PV = nRT, where

P = Pressure
    V = Volume
    n = number of moles of gas (moles is a certain number fo molecules)
    R = Universal Gas Constant (same for all gases)
    T = Temperature (on an absolute scale such as Kelvin)

n does not change for gas in a closed system (such as a tire with no leaks) and R does not change at at (it is a universal constant)

So, for any closed system, the amount a gas expands or contracts (i.e., the volume) is directly variable with temperature and inversely variable with pressure. It doesn't matter whether you have air, pure oxygen, pure nitrogen or poo gas. If you have a fixed amount in a closed vessel, the volume changes by exactly the same amount.

The main benefit to nitrogen, it has no water content. Water, flashing to steam as the tires heat up, can cause a noticeable change in tire pressure. But this is only a factor in car tires that will see a dramatic change in temperature, something most daily drivers won't see. We used nitrogen in our race cars mainly for convenience. We used nitrogen to operate our modified impact wrenches that ran at 150psi to change tires, hard to get a compressor to keep up, so it became a standard to fill tires or operate anything else that would have used compressed air.

Besides you'd need to evacuate the tire completely to remove all moisture and trace gasses, if you think your gonna get a fill of pure nitrogen. Then you have to take under consideration that when you get a tire change they use soappy water to seat the bead, so filling the tire with nitrogen is useless, unless you dry the inside out first.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Quote Originally Posted by CECIL ADAMS
    Oh, there are plenty of benefits: (1) Cool fluorescent green valve stem caps (assuming your nitrogen vendor has any marketing savvy), which will look sharp with your spinning wheel covers. (2) Bragging rights. OK, you were behind the curve with cell phones, iPods, thong underwear, etc. Nitrogen in tires is relatively new to the mass market. Now's your chance. (3) Reduced fire danger next time you land your space shuttle or commercial aircraft, and tell me you won't sleep better knowing that.

Most tires are filled with compressed air, which when dry consists of about 78 percent nitrogen, 21 percent oxygen, and 1 percent other gases by volume. Water vapor (humidity) can make up as much as 5 percent of the volume of air under worst-case conditions. Filling your tires with nitrogen mainly does two things: it eliminates moisture, and it replaces skinny oxygen molecules with fat nitrogen molecules, reducing the rate at which compressed gas diffuses through porous tire walls. That means, theoretically at least, that a tire filled with nitrogen retains optimal pressure longer, leading to more uniform tire wear and better gas mileage. The commonly quoted figure is that tires inflated to 32 psi get 3 percent better mileage than at 24 psi.

Does nitrogen make any practical difference? You couldn't prove it by me. I found no scientific tests showing that nitrogen-filled tires stayed inflated longer than average under normal conditions. A car-buff buddy was sure it worked but conceded he had only anecdotal evidence that it did.

As for moisture, changes in humidity affect tire performance two ways. First, the density of humid air fluctuates more with temperature than that of dry air, so removing humidity can keep your tire pressure more consistent, especially when the temperature climbs over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. That may be a legitimate concern in Formula One racing, but it's not much of an issue if you're just tooling around town.

Humidity can also be a factor in wheel maintenance — since pure nitrogen doesn't have moisture in it, supposedly your wheels won't rust as quickly, which could lead to improved wheel performance and air sealing. The question is, how big a problem is wheel rust these days? According to a few tire and wheel shops we contacted, not very. Seriously rusted wheels are uncommon in typical steel-wheeled cars, and many high-performance cars have alloy wheels that don't rust at all. One exception is work vehicles such as dump trucks, which are exposed to a much harsher environment.

Another claim I've seen is that since nitrogen is slightly lighter than air, you'll save weight and get better performance. However, we're talking about a weight difference of less than 4 percent of the gas in the tire — in other words, a difference of less than an ounce for most vehicles. A possibly more realistic benefit is that nitrogen is largely inert chemically at low (i.e., normal) temperatures, so it won't attack the rubber in your tires like oxygen does. Oxygen attack is something both the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Ford Research have studied, and can be a problem for tires used for a long time or in rough conditions.

More important, nitrogen doesn't support combustion, which is one reason aircraft and the space shuttle use nitrogen in their tires. The wisdom of this precaution was brought home by the crash of Mexicana Airlines flight 940 on March 31, 1986. Shortly after the Boeing 727 took off from Mexico City en route to Puerto Vallarta, an overheated landing-gear brake caused a tire improperly filled with air instead of nitrogen to overheat as well and explode, rupturing fuel and hydraulic lines. The ensuing fire and crash killed 167 passengers and crew. However, unless your driving habits are of the X-treme variety, the chances of your tires catching fire anytime soon are slim.

Overall, filling up with nitrogen won't hurt and may provide some minimal benefit. Is it worth it? If you go to some place like Costco that does it for free with new tires, sure, why not? Elsewhere, though, I've seen prices quoted as high as $10 per tire, which is way more than I'd pay. Rather than shell out for nitrogen, you'd be better off just checking and adjusting your tire pressure regularly, something the NHTSA says less than 60 percent of U.S. motorists actually do.
    this sums it up quite well........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast