Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: toytec body lift problems

Re: toytec body lift problems

Quote Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
    There probably is enough on the shaft to cover a 1" BL but why would TOYTEC skimp on such a simple part?

If that step is not in the instructions, I would have to agree that this is not very impressive.
    instructions i didnt really expect directions with a 1"BL but it would have been nice for them to attempt to tell me where they wanted me to put the bolts that were to long for this kit. since they told me nothing over the phone and had no directions saying anything about a steering spacer or just looseing up the bolt on the shaft i assumed there would be no problem. having such good service from them before i figured id trust them, which i was very wrong in doing. toytec has ruined their reputation with me, especially since when i called them this morning they had nothing to say that would help me. i think i told him more about what was going on then he knew(who ever it is i spoke to). its like they never even installed this kit. i was planning on loosening the shaft and seeing if i had enough shaft left to feel confident in not using a spacer, but after working on cars all day. then doing an alignment on an 06 taco with a total chaos long travel kit i just installed for a friend im spent and wasnt crawling under my truck. so it waits till tomorrow..........fucking toytec
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

Just playing devil's advocate...

How long have they offered body lifts? Are they physically producing the BL's or are they reselling a prepackaged BL?

Maybe they've made some assumptions that if you are installing your own BL, that you have read up on it and know about the steering issue (and other issues like the radiator/fan shroud clearance, shifter linkage, etc)

I'm sure this thread is some valuable feedback for them and that they'll improve their directions/education of their CS folks.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

I can personally attest to Doug and the rest of Toytec's customer service. It is their goal to ensure that every customer is satisfied, if you ever need them directly call them at (303) 255-4959 (mtn. time)-press 2 and you can receive the necessary info. I would agree, however, that instructions would be obviously practical.

The reason for selling a 1" body lift is to avoid multiple alterations...in turn offering a relatively simple lift. It is up to the buyer to have knowledge of what will be extended or strained as a result as our first hand work is a 'mod at your own risk' business. And at 1", you more than likely will not need the radiator brackets, removing the lower fan shroud would be just fine
    <br /><br />
    883/LC with OME/PC shocks ∙ 2&quot; body lift ∙ ARB bull bar
    ∙ KC/IPF aux lighting ∙ 33&quot; BFG all terrains ∙ custom rocker panels ∙ vortex cherrybomb ∙ couple other things ∙

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby

How long have they offered body lifts? Are they physically producing the BL's or are they reselling a prepackaged BL?

Maybe they've made some assumptions that if you are installing your own BL, that you have read up on it and know about the steering issue (and other issues like the radiator/fan shroud clearance, shifter linkage, etc)

I'm sure this thread is some valuable feedback for them and that they'll improve their directions/education of their CS folks.
    im not exactly sure how long they have had them, but mine has been sitting in my garage for about 5 months and they had it at least 4-5 months before i bought it. i would like to think they are making them, but im not sure. the shifter linkage and radiator are fine on my truck. just the steering.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerPKA
    I can personally attest to Doug and the rest of Toytec's customer service. It is their goal to ensure that every customer is satisfied, if you ever need them directly call them at (303) 255-4959 (mtn. time)-press 2 and you can receive the necessary info. I would agree, however, that instructions would be obviously practical.
    like i said when i called them they didnt even know steering was an issue. who ever it was said theyve never had to modify the steering, which is obviously a load of crap. his first response was a very unsure "maybe you should buy a new telescoping steering shaft" i was like thats something ive never heard of someone doing to a 96-02 for any reason, and its completely out of the question. then they said i may be able to get a half inch more out of the shaft.

Steering extensions are not required for a 1" body lift on a 3rd gen 4Runner as BruceTS posted up. Cheap insurance, sure. Nor radiator brackets.

Installation instructions for body lifts are ALL over the internet for just about every 4x4 vehicle known. Modding vehicles requires doing your homework and researching the mod and how to do it before you attempt it so you don't need to consult install instructions.

If you are having a problem with ToyTec, you need to call and speak to Doug and not the help. Doug is a stand up, first rate guy and will take care of you.

last night i got under the truck to see if there is enough shaft to allow for a half inch for it to meet the rag joint again. there is NOT enough shaft. when you move the bottom part to the rag joint the shaft only has a tiny tiny bit left and it isnt enough to keep the bolt in. there is absolutely no way to run it without a spacer. i can only get maybe a 1/4" of shaft movement before it stops. if you remove the bolt you get more shaft to come out but like i said i cant get the bolt back in and there is basically no shaft left in the peice it goes into. i already gave my dad the dimensions to make me an aluminum spacer at his machine shop. he is going to make it while im at work today.

when i called toytec's tech support line i assumed i would get someone who knows what is going on. like i said before in these posts i never had a problem with them and had great customer service. but who ever i spoke to had no clue what was going on with steering on these trucks with the 1" body lift they sell. now i havent thrown them under the bus yet its just very frustrating as you can understand. im going to call toytec again today and try to talk to Doug. i called last night after i found there is no way i can do it without a spacer but they were closed.

if you guys dont beleive that i do need a spacer ill take pics just so you dont think im some idiot kid who has no clue what he is doing. or if you guys have pics of a 1" workin without a spacer id like to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by 20005spd
    Quote Originally Posted by Cebby

im not exactly sure how long they have had them, but mine has been sitting in my garage for about 5 months and they had it at least 4-5 months before i bought it. i would like to think they are making them, but im not sure. the shifter linkage and radiator are fine on my truck. just the steering.
    fyi, the fan shroud will be a problem if you hit it while wheeling. i did and it made a terrible slapping sound
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

i didnt realize those two things until after i had my 1.5" 4crawler lift on.

1: lower fan shroud. started her up, and cachuckacachucka...popped the hood and yep, there was the shroud. yanked her out and all was dandy

2: tight steering. i got the spacer with the kit, but didnt realize the tight steering and not returning to center was because i didnt loosen the rag joint on the splines. now with just a 1" lift and no steering spacer, im guessing it'd be cutting it close. definitely post a pic of how much room youve got left. you might have to pull the rag joint apart to see if you can get more off the shaft...its been a while since i did mine, but once i loosened the clamp screw, it seated itself proper, and steering was back to normal & centered itself...

good luck with your situation!
    sonny<br />1998 4Runner LTD...d0uble locked on 35&#039;s<br />crawlinbc.com

my dad made me a spacer while i was at work.
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/20005spd/DSC00111.jpg[/img]

i put it in soon as i got home. all is good

First class work. Now you can sell them to Toytec
    1998 LTD|DoubleLocked|Yukon 4:88|SMP Bumpers &amp; Armor|315 BFG KM2|Sonoran Steel|BudBuilt|Warn Recovery &amp; Hubs<br />NewMexicoBackroads.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast