Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Gen 4Runner tire carrier Build-Up

Re: 3rd Gen 4Runner tire carrier Build-Up

Nice work Bruce, different from all the other designs I've seen. Its always entertaining to see your work.
    -Jc1996 SR5 4WD 5SPD 4RunnerStock till 213,000 milesSonoran SS rear brake line|Sonoran diff drop|Sonoran Panhard drop bracket|SAW 2.5 C/O's|OME891-N86|Magnaflow 24|Deckplate Mod|Trueflow Airfilter|BruceTS Rear Bumper|Airaid MIT|Shrockworks Front Bumper|Trail-mart 67 sliders

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
    bruce,

as always, you are a true innovator. can't wait to see it all done.

hows joyce doing?

bob
    Bruce is finally making my tire carrier

Bob, all is going well . I'm leaving for Utah with Mark (expat) and JohnD from toyota120 for a 10 day trip on the 21st. Mark took this video on Sunday http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y93...yValley016.flv

Party at Bruce's place Saturday to watch him working

(Maybe not, less partying = more work )
    1999 Turbocharged 4Runner<br />2008 4Runner

fabricated the latching assembly..... even with both swung out, it is quite sturdy, note there are no mounting bolts holding it in place

This is with the 2 fuel cans base plate and riser for the tire carrier attached. I wanted to use a different type of latching system, but Joyce wanted a user friendly set-up.

The plates overlap and when closed it is very solid

Above the latch, I'll drill a hole for a padlock. Added the round tube where the tire mounts, so it's easier to hoist into place. Now it will be a simple task to line up the bolt holes.....

Tomorrow I'll finish adding all the bracing, build the fuel can box and hi-lift mounts.... then sand and paint.....
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Looking good so far. Try to snap some shots of the mounts. What's your wall thickness on the mild steel? With those bushings - does that negate the need for a greasable bolt instead? And what's the lb. capacity on the hinge itself? Thanks for sharing.
    &#039;95 Runner with some goods<br />&#039;99 Taco with some more goods<br /><br />Surf to Live / Live to Surf

Quote Originally Posted by freejake3
    Looking good so far. Try to snap some shots of the mounts. What's your wall thickness on the mild steel? With those bushings - does that negate the need for a greasable bolt instead? And what's the lb. capacity on the hinge itself? Thanks for sharing.
    wall thickness is 1/4"

The bushings are graphie impregnated delrin, no lubrication needed.
    The hinge is made from a machined DOM outer tubing, that the bushings fit in and a DOM inner sleeve. The bolt is 1/2" fine thread grade F911. As for the lb. capacity of the hinge, I have no clue, but it's quite high, since it was designed to be the bushing set-up for lower links on race trucks.

99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Wow...really nice bruce. I like that double hinged setup.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Finished the fuel can carrier and added bracing to the tire carrier. Ran out of gas for the welder so I'll have to complete the rest during the week.

I intentionally didn't add a diagonal support on the left side of the tire carrier, I plan to attach the Hi-lift there. The mounts will bolt the jack solid, so it will act as the additional brace.

The cans can only be removed from the inside, so when latched and locked they are safe from would-be-theives.

Man that looks good, wish I could weld like that. Really like the gas can holder, I may borrow some from that design.

I'm doing something very similar and am planning on using Dom inside Dom with teflon bushings and some all thread holding it together or possibly just a bolt. Curious if you are worried at all about theft from unbolting the hinge or have a way to combat that I missed.

Great Job!
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

Very nice, great work as always.
    96 4Runner SR5 B&amp;M trans cooler, H.I.D conversion

wall thickness is 1/4"

The bushings are graphie impregnated delrin, no lubrication needed.
    The hinge is made from a machined DOM outer tubing, that the bushings fit in and a DOM inner sleeve. The bolt is 1/2" fine thread grade F911. As for the lb. capacity of the hinge, I have no clue, but it's quite high, since it was designed to be the bushing set-up for lower links on race trucks.[/quote]

Nice Bruce. Any idea of the finished weight? Killer fab work.
    &#039;95 Runner with some goods<br />&#039;99 Taco with some more goods<br /><br />Surf to Live / Live to Surf

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast