Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rising fuel costs....

Rising fuel costs....

How is this affecting all of you? If you think $4.00 is right around the corner, watch out as I suspect we'll be seeing higher rates in the summer as they always jack the prices up

Personally, I'm on the road visiting clients daily so I have to drive a lot and the recent explosion in gas prices are definitely killing me. I don't drive the 4runner (never intended to anyway) and even with my ultra reliable Honda Accord it's definitely taking a toll. I've always thought about picking up a Prius but the cost benefit didn't fit the bill and still does not. (buying a Prius and making payments vs a paid Accord... just doesn't add up). Maybe an old Mercedes Benz diesel w/ a bio conversion?

At any rate I'm already penny pinching and definitely trying to save as much money as I can in this rough economy and the daily living expenses are just getting painful. I'm just lucky that I don't have a large overhead (no family and all) but I know many of you are married with children so I'm really sure you guys are feeling more of the pain that me.

So how are you guys managing these rough times? It's only getting worse so I'm all ears. I know that this will eat into our trips/vacations but we all need to survive so what you guys doing to save a few here and there for the offset in the fuel prices?

Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Re: Rising fuel costs....

im buying another car this weekend or very soon, i cant afford to commute with 16mpg, and i kinda want a new toy

it sucks. just finished up a report on the tesla roadster, makes me wish i had 90 grand now..
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

It sucks ass man. Single income, family, 2 gas guzzlers. Yeah, it sucks hard. What can you do though. Filled up the 4Runner yesterday, damn near 60 bucks for 200 miles. Ha! If work was closer and i didnt work as early as i do, i would ride my bicycle. Things are definitely getting out of hand.
    Any of you like Guns? Hit me up for great prices! www.gunsupfirearms.com

I build in into my expenses and make the client pay for it....

SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Quote Originally Posted by fustercluck
    I build in into my expenses and make the client pay for it....

x2

I go out i charge for the work plus a destination charge.

For the service center work i do, i bill for work, travel, and mileage.

Its the only way.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

I also use my 4Runner for my business. Up here in Canada we've used to high gas prices for a while already. I haven't changed my driving habits or driving style whatsoever.
    I guess you get used to it and then it becomes normal. Gas prices have doubled over the last 10 years here, the recent hike in oil prices has been offset by the increasing value of the Canadian dollar. It hasn't affected us that much sofar.

Paying $55 for a tank of gas has been normal for me for years. A couple of tanks a week isn't unusual either.

Trading a vehicle to safe a couple of bucks on gas isn't worth it. On an average vehicle trade through a dealer you'll a couple of thousand. It will take a fair bit of driving before you recover that in the difference in fuel usage.
    2006 4Runner Sport Edition V8
    2011 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by Good Times
    Maybe an old Mercedes Benz diesel w/ a bio conversion?
    Hmmm....now THAT sounds familiar! Lance, I can help you here if you're really interested we can chat. I only charge $225/hr for the advise

Quote Originally Posted by Good Times
    So how are you guys managing these rough times? It's only getting worse so I'm all ears. I know that this will eat into our trips/vacations but we all need to survive so what you guys doing to save a few here and there for the offset in the fuel prices?
    My wife says, after we pay all our mortgage and other related house expenses, 1/3 of our expenses are towards gasoline. Hopefully that will significantly decrease when the biodiesel Benz goes into operation. But I have not firmly committed to any trips this year precisely b/c of gas costs and my spending on the Benz. Thus, if i make a this year, it has to be one that the misses will enjoy and a new destination (vs usual ones like Pismo)

Bob

Bus/bike to work. Save my money for the weekends to wheel.

Don't run the heat excessively, and it keeps costs down.

Dunno. Filled up tonight, 2.96. Thats high for here, but not the highest. I'm not looking forward to the summer.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

Quote Originally Posted by AxleIke
    Bus/bike to work. Save my money for the weekends to wheel.

Don't run the heat excessively, and it keeps costs down.

Dunno. Filled up tonight, 2.96. Thats high for here, but not the highest. I'm not looking forward to the summer.
    2.96? lowest in foco is 3.05

I havent been driving lately, im going to pick my bike up from Ric's house soon so i can start riding to the store and everything else, plus its gooood exercise.

The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

2.96, that would be nice....$3.37 when I filled up yesterday..still not going to buy a prius though...they won't tow much and have no ground clearance
    5 Toyota trucks over 20 years...<br />&#039;81 Trekker

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast