Thread: Lets see your rattle can or roll on paint job on the cheap.

Lets see your rattle can or roll on paint job on the cheap.

This thread obviously doesn't go with all the pretty trucks around here. Since I stopped doing body work to my truck, I was thinking I would paint it one color or camo. Since I am cheap, I was thinking rattle or roll. Show me what you have done with the can or roller.

Re: Lets see your rattle can or roll on paint job on the cheap.

If you've got an air compressor I'd recommend buying a spray gun (from Home Depot or OSH) and do it that way, shouldn't be more than $45. Way easier and faster and you'll save money on paint too. But more importantly, you'll get much better results.

If you don't have access to a compressor I think you can rent one for a reasonable price.
    '99 4Runner Highlander, e-Locker, Deckplate/Trueflow, and 265/75 Terra Grapplers

Lacking any pics after I did it...Semi-Flat Black rattle can:

[quote author=fustercluck link=topic=2107.msg22283#msg22283 date=1188483178]<br />I&#39;m with Intrepid, there&#39;s no use making a project out of it.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Mistakes: Perhaps it is the purpose of your life to serve as an example to others.

The easiest way to do it is roll it. No mess. Just make sure you thin out the paint. Check out this sight.

http://rollyourcar.com

Repainted a Ranger using Rustoleum. Rolled it on.

Needs more coats though.

What do you do in the dents a roller cant touch ? I am thinking a brush. Then when I hit another rock I can pound it out and just roll some more on.

I have plenty of air. Just not sure I care for a gun. I am just gonna mash it ! Poor Runner!

You've seen mine I think but I'll add it here for posterity sake. I'm a big fan of Rustoleum Professional semi-gloss black rattlecan. Did the lower half on the runner:

In the process of painting my sammy. Did the wheels, tailgate, rear quarter. Still need to do the doors, other quarter, and front clip:

It's all in not using gloss and doing a little prep work (scuff and wipe down).
    1987 Toyota 4Runner<br />Specs Here: 4Runner Page

Yeah, I do like your two tone. I know camo has been done, but has it been done with redwood tree leaves/needles. You know paint your truck a solid color then use redwood leaves to to make a pattern then spray on the second color. The first coat would be the color of the redwood needles. I was also think of palm leaves. I live in the redwoods, and where I work we have lots of Palm Trees.

i rattled mine looks a whole lot better

Quote Originally Posted by towyota1
    i rattled mine looks a whole lot better
    Its hard to tell from your avatar