Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris' 1984 4Runner 'Tracy'

Chris' 1984 4Runner 'Tracy'

This is my garage thread, where iwill try and keep track of changes and modifications to my '84 I may eventually start sub threads about the mods, and just post the results here, but we shall see.
    For now, here is my '84 4Runner, which I have named Tracy.

This is how she sat the first time I saw her.

Shortly after I first saw her, before I even bought her, but after I knew I wanted her I helped the present owners rebuild her motor.

Then I decided, I HAD to have her, and laid out the monies, and brought her home with me.

Of course, I had to get her topless on the first date (doesn't everyone do this?)

She needed some serious clean up, so we got to it...

Since then, she has been lifted with some custom shackles, had various parts painted, locked in the rear, and has gone through two sets of wheels and tires, a nice thin set of wheels with 31" All terrains, and now some big backspaced wheels with 33/12.50's for more on all of these mods, check my buildup thread, linked above. Thanks for looking...

-Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Re: Chris' 1984 4Runner 'Tracy'

Got my tube doors in yesterday. I got home and it was like chrsitmas!!

These doors are from Adam at 4Xinnovations, (check my sig) and they are seriously good stuff.
    Look GREAT!!!

I scuffed them up with some fine emory cloth, and then wiped them down real good with paint thinner, and let them dry for about an hour to ensure they were good and dry, I thern wiped them down with a clean tack cloth, and primed them.

and just so you all remember who made these awesome looking doors....
    -Chris
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.

Just as a side note, I was wheeling on my property the other day, and got back to the shop, and realized I was leaking fuel....
    I had torn the fuel line right at the filter (which was stock, BTW) so I decided it was time to change that 24 year old filter anyway, I cut the lines back about an inch on both sides, and installed a new universal in-line filter I got at the parts store, it seems to flow enough fuel for my little 22r, if need be, I can go to a larger filter to flow more, although this one seems to work fine.
    For now it is just zip tied up on the frame rail, AWAY from tearing rocks, and stumps... I'll probbaly mount it cleaner, but keep it tucked up out of the way. Thats why I purchased an in-line filter as opposed to a OEM replacement bucket style filter that hangs down from the frame like it does. In the pic, you can see the big "C bracket" that used to hold the larger bucket style OEM filter.

-Chris

So of course, as soon as I replace the fuel filter, my luck, fuel pump goes. lol. It was pumping OUT as fast as it was pumping in....
    SO in a new one went.

Old fuel pump out -

New Fuel Pump - Sitting on the tundra -

New vs old -

God Bless Univeral joints! -

Went ahead and replaced the soft fuel lines, they were looking pretty worn. -

Installed, ready to go -

Time to put it all back together (notice the Neon orange 'small parts' cup. Originally a rear wheel hub cover. haha) -

All put back together -
    -Chris

Also got the doors all painted up - Still waiting to mount them until tonite.

-Chris

Horrible Pictures, I will get some better ones today hopefully - but I got the tube doors installed finally.

Truthfully my girlfriend, Cort, did the install.
    For once, I handed her tools instead of the other way around. She pulled the fenders off, installed the hinge kits, and the doors, and put the fenders back on. All like a pro!!

-Chris

Got her out for a little wheeling last nite, and as promised here are some newer tube door pics.

-Chris

Last nite, I got into rebuilding the outer portion of the manual hubs. I didnt pull the hub bodies, just the dials and a clutch lockrings.
    They are actually in really good shape, they show very little wear internally, and no rust at all, there was plenty of grease in them, albeit slightly runny, watery grease, but the seals were intact and mostly clean.

Pulled them off the truck, and cleaned out the hub bodies best I could without removing them.

Here it is covered in runny watery worn out bearing grease.

Here they are after a first light scrub in dish soap (cuts grease) and the hottest water I could stand.

Disassembled and cleaned. I did leave the small spring on the pawl, and that assembly on the clutch ring. I didnt see the need in removing this.

You have to be VERY careful not to lose the spring and detent ball out of the hub handle (pictured in the lower bag)

Hub handles and dial faces soaking in Paint Thinner overnight.

Not to many women let thier men put truck parts (clean or not) on the kitchen table.

This morning - Fresh out of the paint thinner.

Painting - Greasing - Reassembly - Reinstallation tonite. I'll post pics of that when the time comes.
    -Chris

Here are the hubs all assembled and greased.

Here they are repainted and back on the truck.

-Chris

Had a chance to test out the rebuilt hubs, and the rest of the truck, including those nice new tube doors in the muck and rain at Tellico for the Save Tellico Rally/Spring Fling this past weekend.

Also got a chance to check some flex on the ramp at Crawfords. I would like to say the 8"+ of mud at the bottom of the ramp stopped me from going any higher, but I lifted a back wheel, so I think thats all the flex she has...
    But it doesnt look to shabby to me.

-Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast