Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chris' 1984 4Runner 'Tracy'

Re: Chris' 1984 4Runner 'Tracy'

Teaser pic of soon to come:

-Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Okay so it has been awhile since I updated this thread, and I know you guys are curious...
    Let me get you caught up...

I DID get the sliders welded on, I had Brad (Mossyrocks) and Josh (jh3) from Mossyrocks Fabricating install them for me. Two of the most professional guys you'll ever want to work with... I just hope you like Waffle House. (The sliders are from 4XInnovations)

josh - tacking the plates in place on the frame.

tacking legs and sliders on, making sure to get the angles correct.

how they look off the truck, tacked up.

josh finish welding them.

...and paint.

Looking Good!!
    -Chris
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.

Next up came the bumper...

I got it painted up and bolted into place on my own.

Notice the bare spot on the top bar, leaving it open for welding the stinger on.

I dont have any pics of the stinger install, but I again tapped Mossyrocks Fabricating for the job.

All finished up and out testing.
    -Chris

Been awhile since I updated this, not a lot has chnged, a few updates to the front bumper, added some bracing, and welded it in better (Again Mossyrocks Fab)

I decided to chop up my top for some better vision, and a more open feel for folks in the back...

I also picked up a full top to use during the "cold" months here in the southeast.

I also installed a budbuilt single case crossmember, I won't bore you with any details or installpics, I think we all know how they go by now...

I recently picked up some new toys to install. I found a set of axles with 5.29's in them, and a lockright in the front.

So I picked them up.

Cort (girlfriend) pulled the rear for me (all by herself, I might mention)

I went over to a buddys house and we pulled the front apart the other nite while we were working on his swapped pickup.
    I dont have any good pictures, Just this one from under the Tonneau cover on my Taco.

One of the 5.29's had a lockright, and one was open, I took it to Marc (zman2day for those of you familiar) and had him weld it up for me, I have had my welded 4.10 in for over a year without any issues.

They are now ready to go in, and will go in, along with a new clutch hopefully this weekend and coming week.

Here is the front (with a LockRite)

Here is the rear (welded)

Usually Marc will just weld the corners of the spiders together, but he elected to go ahead and put a crossbrace in this one (both sides) from one corner to the next, and then weld the other corners as usual. The crossbrace is a peice of 1/4" plate.

I know this is a lot of updates all at once, I'll try to do it realtime in the future. lol.

-Chris

By the way, the 5.29's will move the crawl ratio from 36.74:1 to 47.4:1
    (3.93x2.28x4.10=36.74)
    (3.93x2.28x5.29=47.40)
    -Chris

Been awhile since updates again, lets get all caught up...

The 5.29's are in along with the lockers front and rear.

Cort took care of the rear for me (she was very proud)

I had my buddy anthony come over and give me a hand with the front.

-Chris

Along with new gears I decided it was time to fix the trannsmission issues, again...

Replaced the clutch and pressure plate, and had the flywheel turned and machined, one run in, and I had the same problems...

So I once again replaced clutch, pressure plate, and turned the flywheel, but also this time I replaced the slave cylinder, problems solved.
    and just FYI, its pretty hard to put a tranny and t-case combo back in by yourself.
    -Chris

Anyone who knows me knows that the drivers side of my runner has a hole in the floorboard, well it was more like the whole floorboard was gone... So that had to be fixed...

First I cut out all of the afflicted cancerous metal.

Once this was cleared, I elected to go with two peices of 16 gauge sheetmetal, the reason I went with two was to have a seam in the center to add a little rigidity without having to add any character lines in the new metal.

In place and prepped for welding.

...and once again, Brad at Mossyrocks Fab hooked me up with the metal melting.

Once welded in, I reinstalled the seat rail, and welded it in, and painted it up, ready to go!
    -Chris

Once the floor was in and the body now secure, it was time to turn my attention to the protection of the soft and squishy parts inside the rig...namely me and Cort.

For Christmas Cort had given me a gift certificate for a custom built cab cage from Mossyrocks Fab, so I took it to the Mossy shop, and hung out for a few days and helped where I could.

Brad hard at work..

We started with the B-Pillar in one peice and then added the A-Pillar sweeps, then installed the front roof bar, and the center roof bars, next up came the dash bar, and the windshield braces. On to the pics.

I dont have a finished picture right now, but I have to give serious props to Brad for this one, a work of art, and in only 3 days. We added new legs to the sliders and frame, so that a vertical tube comes up from the new slider leg, and through the floor with a plate on it made from 1/4" that is just above the floor as a "body check" in case the body mounts ever were to break to assist in holding the body in place, and then the cage tubes are welded to the plates. Brad also added an O.S. handle in the "stock location" on Cort's side, and a grab handle on the dash bar for her also. She is very grateful.
    I'll have to get the finished pic up this week.
    -Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12