Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire Comparison, between aggressive ATs.

Tire Comparison, between aggressive ATs.

Alright, I thought id start a tread regarding All terrains other then BFG and Nitto regarding an aggressive pattern and something that will hold up to street wear and ride quality.

I have it narrowed down to two tires. one that does not come in a size smaller then a 315 aka the procomp extreme, and the mickey t ATZ does (now it does, didnt use to)

that is the Baja ATZ, and id be running it in a 35 basically.

here is the procomp extreme AT

i have a friend who runs the procomp in the 315 on his 80 series and i havent heard anything bad about them and heard about some decent miles being put on those.

Really what id like to find out is the sidewall durability and the ability to clean themselves better then other ATs (this is not an MT so i do not expect to compare it to an MT)

I like to think that I have enough traction aiding devices that I can hold my own with an AT like these, and about the SAS (you can forget about the SAS for a while, so dont bring it up )

The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Re: Tire Comparison, between aggressive ATs.

any tread pics of that Procomp?

If it means anything the procomp tires I have run (Xterrains) seem to have very strong sidewalls, as I have had no issues with them.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

yeah woops

both are about the same as a BFG AT, with the procomp being about 10 more a tire.

i really like the treads of both, but it seems that the ATZ has a little more grab on the edge, but thats just what im seeing, ive only seen the procomp in person, never seen the ATZ in person (might make a run to 4wheelparts in denver to see if they have one i can look at)

Those procomps look a lot like the Kuhmo Road Venture A/T's in my opinion.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I may end up with the ATZs as they are just a less aggressive MTZ and ABQ Jim has had great results with those.

I read a review of the Procomps, don't remember where, but they said it handled everything pretty well. There was some speculation about the 2 ply sidewalls being a little weak but the seemed to hold up well. I'll see if I can't find the article.

I personally like the Mickey's better though based on looks alone...
    95 4Runner- 3.0- A/T- 4.88's- MC rear bumper- Downey skid plate- BJ spacers- LC coils- 32" BFG A/T's- FROR front bumper and frame brace on the way

Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept
    I may end up with the ATZs as they are just a less aggressive MTZ and ABQ Jim has had great results with those.

Actually, after a few rocky trips in the 4Runner the MTZ's are showing some signs of chunking.
    &#039;00 SR5, &quot;Highlander&quot; <br />Dual Cases, Aisin Hubs, E-Lock&#039;d, Cryo&#039;d, Chromo&#039;d, ARB&#039;d, 315&#039;s, Sonoran Steel Bumper, Lift &amp; UCA&#039;s, 4 Crawl 1&quot; BL, Armored...etc.<br /><br />F-Toy #081 in progress<br />Dual Cases, 30 Splines, 5.71&#039;s, E-lockers, Hydro-Assist, 37&#039;s, DOM Hendrix Chassis, 80Proof, ORS, Sonoran Steel...etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn
    How about their M/T's too...
    KM2's are supposed to be better on the street than the old KM's - you didn't mention rim size - if you go 16, there is a size that will work for you. (315/75R16)

2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

I had a set of BFGs MTs, key word "had" they only lasted about 35K, once they got about half way worn, they was REALLY loud, and very slippery in the rain. Ill never get another pair, but that was about 4 years ago, they may be better now.
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

I like the BFG AT's. They hold up under a beating, and give me all the traction I need. They ride fairly well, and wear well also.

My fat tires hydroplaned. My pizza cutters don't. The pizza cutters also seem to do better in the snow as well.

I've never run anything but. I will be going to the KM2's as soon as they are out in a size I can use.

Good luck.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast