None

Tools & Supplies

Cordless drill with HSS drill bit
    Philips head screwdriver
    Rachet wrench with 10mm and 12mm sockets
    Silicone sealant (optional)
    Bath towel

Summary
    This writeup shows you how to mute or permanently disable the piezo door bell on your 1999 4Runner. I did this on my first 99 4Runner because I like to open all my doors and listen to the stereo. Of course, the factory piezo bell will constantly ring. But this mod takes care that problem---permanently

Please note the following: if you mute or disable the piezo bell and you leave your lights on, you will no longer hear any warning bing-ing from the piezo bell. That means all sounds generated by any actions (door open, lights on, etc) by it, so keep that in mind before proceeding. But for 99 - 02, I don't think is such a big problem because the lights automatically shut off after a period of time. Someone please email me if this is not correct.

Step 1: Removing Your Gauge Cluster
    Unhook the negative battery terminal on the battery. Also, move the seat way back or just unbolt the four bolts and remove the seat. You’ll need some room to work here.

Remove the following four 10mm bolts as shown in the picture below. Carefully detach the Lower Plastic Panel and move to the side. You will notice that there are two cables in the lower left hand corner which prevent you from entirely removing it out of your 4runner. Those cables attach to the fuel door and hood levers and are held by two philips head screws each. If you want the extra room, then remove them.

Remove these 4 bolts as shown above

Step 2: Removing the Black Instrument Panel Trim Pieces

There are a total of four screws that hold the black plastic trim pieces onto the instrument cluster (aka "combination meter"). To remove these plastic pieces, first pop off the ignition key trim panel, and then remove the the two screws as shown below:

Pop this off

Remove this screw

and then remove this screw

Remove the two screws that covers the instrument cluster. Use a short handled philips head screwdriver for these screws. Now you are ready to remove the gauge illumination dial and the alarm LED and glass breakage sensor. See the picture below as reference:

Remove these two screws

Unplug gauge illumination dial (A) and unscrew the fastening nut. Reach behind the trim panel and unfasten the LED (B) and glass breakage sensor (C)

On the gauge illumination dial, remove the plastic dial by pulling towards you. Take your 8mm socket wrench head and unscrew the nut. Set aside in a plastic bag. If you have the factory alarm system installed, reach under the back of the alarm LED light and give it a gentle twist. The catch mechanism will release, allowing you to pull out the LED. Do the same with the glass breakage sensor.

Step 3: Removing the Cluster
    There are four screws holding the Instrument Cluster. Remove those screws and set them aside. Now you are ready to unplug the connections and pull out the Instrument Cluster.

Gently wriggle the combination out. There are a total of 5 bundled clips of wires that are attached to the combination meter. Now is a good time to put on that headlamp or other source of light so you can see well and unplug them. To remove, press down on the clips and pull straight out.

Remove the 4 screws shown above

Unplug the five plug connectors here. Push down on the plug clip and pull out. It's a tight fit!

You can now pull out the Instrument Cluster.

Step 4: Removing the Protective Cover and Disabling the Bell
    Take the instrument cluster out and place it face down on your bath towel. Unscrew the four (?) screws that hold the white plastic cover to the instrument cluster. From this point, you need to decide whether you want to permanently disable it or mute it.

Remove the cover (C). I believe there are 3 or 4 screws to remove

Step 5: Disabling the Bell
    WARNING: This step permanently disables the bell.

Take your cordless drill and *carefully* pierce the two membranes with your drill bit. Use the smallest drill bit you can. As for the "feel" of the membrane, it is *very* tight so if you feel like you're not making progress, that is why. Have some patience and let the drill bit do its work.

After drilling holes in both membranes, assemble in reverse order and enjoy the silence

Drill membrane (M)

For those of you who prefer to mute the membrane, squeeze in some silicone sealant in there. This will muffle the membrane. Of note, people have written me and said they tried to just cover the hole with tape. All that does is a whole lotta nuttin'.
    1996 4runner SR5- Bunch of goodies that make it clunck<br /><br />2008 Acura TL

Re: Write Up: Disabling Door Bell on a 1999 4runner

Im thinking this will work on a 99taco?
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba
    Im thinking this will work on a 99taco?
    Don't see why not.
    I know it wont work for the my 97, cause the back of the cluster doesn't look like that...

I did the door buzzer on my 85 runner. I wonder if there is a write up on that here yet...
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Thanks Avy..if mine is annoying when i finally get it, this will have to be a little thing I do. And fuster, I was only looking through the newer tech articles so IDK ??! Maybe you should make one
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

I think I will scooby...when it warms up a bit. Thanks for checking.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM