Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 97 4runner, front bumper build.

Re: 97 4runner, front bumper build.

ok!

Quote Originally Posted by 97kurt
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceTS
    comming out great..... which brand flap disc do you use?
    You mean there is more than one brand?!?!?

I normally just use the dewalt 80 grits but yesterday I decided to grab a norton at home depot. It looks thicker than the dewalts and might last longer. I still need to find a place to buy bulk cut off discs.
    For cut-off disc, I use the one's HF sells, they last the longest out of all the one's I've tested.

For flap disc, Lehigh Valley has the best bang for the buck http://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com/servlet/StoreFront

Walter Flap disc are by far the best, but the cost vs longeivity don't add up.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

lookin good kurt! you using a 110v welder for your 3/16's?
    sonny<br />1998 4Runner LTD...d0uble locked on 35&#039;s<br />crawlinbc.com

Quote Originally Posted by d0ubledown
    lookin good kurt! you using a 110v welder for your 3/16's?
    You bet!! Never had an issue with the hobart 140 with that thickness. I have a 30 amp circuit that is 5 feet from the breaker and that helps a ton. I've also welded a lot of 1/4" wall DOM with that welder but I always pre-heat everything thicker than 3/16".

Anyways, my neighbor and I got the top of the bumper skinned and the winch line hole has been cut. Now begins the fun long process of welding and smoothing all the seams.
    Diamond HP8 SAS / FROR Full Float Rear / DIY F&amp;R bumper / Nitto 285s / Gen1 SC (in progress)

Diamond HP8 SAS / FROR Full Float Rear / DIY F&amp;R bumper / Nitto 285s / Gen1 SC (in progress)

kurt,

nice dude. hey, why did u weld the main support vs making it a bolt on? I think about when i rear ended someone and the mounts twisting and deflecting and limiting the damage to the bumper and the mount

bob

Quote Originally Posted by 97kurt
    After seeing the shrockworks bumper I was inspired to get started.

I really need to thank Nick for the picture.

HA HA thanks for the honor. Glad I can contribute to the Toy community. BTW, you can also pick up flap discs from the local welding stores they'll have a selection and I have found the discs with more flaps last alot longer, grit 80. Knock down the weld with a regular disc and do the finish work with it.

I'll have some of my friends in Carson come pick up my royalties

Nick
    SHROCKWORKS<br />Design/Proto fab

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
    kurt,

nice dude. hey, why did u weld the main support vs making it a bolt on? I think about when i rear ended someone and the mounts twisting and deflecting and limiting the damage to the bumper and the mount

bob
    x2. I learned my lesson, a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
    kurt,

bob
    The new cross member is welded directly to the frame. And the main bumper support (2x2 3/16" angle iron) bolts to the new cross member in two spots. Then I tied in two more mounting points where the stock bumper attached to the frame.

I will have it off the truck tonight and get some better pics of it.

makes perfect sense, kurt. i was afraid that the whole thing was welded on :eeek:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast