Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tundra Towing, What and How Much?

Tundra Towing, What and How Much?

Since this place is quiet, I am hoping for a few more responses.

Any Tundra owners here tow with theirs? How much weight do you tow and how often?

The hot set up for some of the local Toyota buggies is the Xtra Cab Tundra DD that can tolerably tow the buggy. Not a diesel 3/4 ton, but good enough and safe plus tolerable to drive.

Timbrens, air bags, weight distributing hitches?

Thanks.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

Re: Tundra Towing, What and How Much?

Cheese, that's the set up I plan to get into next fall. Probably a 2004 or so, V8 4x4 and a 14 foot trailer. Something to haul the F-Toy around comfortably. I'll use the 4Runner til then, but I don't think it will like it too much.
    &#039;00 SR5, &quot;Highlander&quot; <br />Dual Cases, Aisin Hubs, E-Lock&#039;d, Cryo&#039;d, Chromo&#039;d, ARB&#039;d, 315&#039;s, Sonoran Steel Bumper, Lift &amp; UCA&#039;s, 4 Crawl 1&quot; BL, Armored...etc.<br /><br />F-Toy #081 in progress<br />Dual Cases, 30 Splines, 5.71&#039;s, E-lockers, Hydro-Assist, 37&#039;s, DOM Hendrix Chassis, 80Proof, ORS, Sonoran Steel...etc.

Tow rigs, trailers and F-Toys? My how things change.

Not sure about the others, but 05 and 06 give you a 5 spd and the VVTI motor for some more HP. Gotta read on Tundra Solutions for some other stuff.

Hope you are well.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

Buggy-O-Rama. Smash and bash and out zero cash.

1999 4Runner/Dana44 Front Axle - 1990 4WD Mini Pickup, 2006 Tundra &amp; 1948/1981 CJ2A Rock Buggy.

I hear that.

If you are around later this week, I will give you a call. My life is back together, I cut some weight and I have somewhere to go for a while longer.

This weekend, or Saturday and Sunday AM at least we will be up in Crown King, drinking a lot of beer. April 4-5 the F-Toy comes to Tempe.

http://www.yotatech.com/f66/where-st...e-meet-139331/

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=644322

1999 4Runner/Dana44 Front Axle - 1990 4WD Mini Pickup, 2006 Tundra &amp; 1948/1981 CJ2A Rock Buggy.

I tow my 1st gen 4runner on a 16' trailer with an '01 Tundra. It won't win any races, but I honestly don't mind it at all. I tow with OD off, get around 10 mpg (only actually checked on longer trips since I can calculate full tanks) and the truck pulls well. The nice thing is that the tundra is enjoyable to drive to work every day. The trailer is long enough that I can balance the perfect load onto the truck. I used to tow a shorter trailer and I needed a weight distributing hitch to make it work, but it did work. I would like to pick up some sort of AAL/overload setup like a super spring just to stiffen it up some, but it works well enough that I am not running out to buy one.

[quote author=fustercluck link=topic=2107.msg22283#msg22283 date=1188483178]<br />I&#39;m with Intrepid, there&#39;s no use making a project out of it.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Mistakes: Perhaps it is the purpose of your life to serve as an example to others.

had an 04 DCAB limited that I used to tow my 89 4Runner. It pulled better than the Cummins I had and got better mileage. I pulled over 11 mpg at almost 70mph. Had to sell that truck but now have an 06. Hoping it does as well.

For sheer power and better hauling I would say a 05+ x-cab would be best unless you need the dbl cab.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

No offense to all of the Tundra owners here, but I really don't think I could bring myself to buy a gas tow rig (Toyota or otherwise) after riding along with guys and their 3/4 ton diesel rigs. If I saw a lot of towing in my future, I would hands-down look for an '04+ Dodge 2500 Quad-Cab Cummins; just my personal opinion.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a Dodge Cummins for a similar price to a similar-year Tundra too, resale values being what they are with Toyotas. My .02
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast