Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tundra Towing, What and How Much?

Re: Tundra Towing, What and How Much?

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox
    No offense to all of the Tundra owners here, but I really don't think I could bring myself to buy a gas tow rig (Toyota or otherwise) after riding along with guys and their 3/4 ton diesel rigs. If I saw a lot of towing in my future, I would hands-down look for an '04+ Dodge 2500 Quad-Cab Cummins; just my personal opinion.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a Dodge Cummins for a similar price to a similar-year Tundra too, resale values being what they are with Toyotas. My .02
    x2 though I must add the ford F250 and F350 with the 7.3l turbo is another very capable truck. Also available in a 5spd, which I can't recall if the newer dodges were as well..

:-)

08 Crewmax Tundra 4x4 pulls my tandem trailer and with any of my Toyotas on it just fine
    I had an 02 F350 7.3 Diesel and nothing can touch that, but the Tunny does just fine.

Cheese, I've had thoughts of buying a Tundra for towing. Like you mentioned, the best years are the '05 and '06, mostly because of the VVTi and 5spd tranny.

The double cabs have a slightly lower tow capacity than the access cabs.

Brad (Mossyrocks) tows his 3rd gen 4Runner with his Tundra access cab. I don't know what year it is, but I'm almost positive it was pre vvti. He has airbags.

Also, something I found interesting lately, is that the Tundra double cab is very very different then the regular and access cab models. The double cabs were designed from the ground up by Hino. The drive trains are identical, but not much else. The beds are about the same size, but are totally different. The double cab has a bed about 4" deeper, and with the exception of maybe the hood, all the sheet metal is different. Not even the tail lights are the same. The double cab shares it's sheet metal forward of the B pillar with the Sequoia, which is also different from the access cab/regular cab. It's hard to tell, but if you look closely at the body lines, there is a difference. Anyways, just some interesting tid bits I found out not long ago.

The double cab also has a roll down rear window.

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox
    No offense to all of the Tundra owners here, but I really don't think I could bring myself to buy a gas tow rig (Toyota or otherwise) after riding along with guys and their 3/4 ton diesel rigs. If I saw a lot of towing in my future, I would hands-down look for an '04+ Dodge 2500 Quad-Cab Cummins; just my personal opinion.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a Dodge Cummins for a similar price to a similar-year Tundra too, resale values being what they are with Toyotas. My .02
    I agree, I would take a 2500 dodge quad cab, 6spd, diesel, 4x4 model over a Tundra double cab. The main reason I was considering a Tundra over a dodge was cost. I dunno how it is out west, but around here, a '05 Tundra double cab 4x4 can easily be found for under 15,000. I've seen several 2WD models go for 11-12k. The Dodge diesels are worth way more than that around here. That's why I would probably end up buying a Tundra.

I've also been considering a 100 series LC, but I don't think it would be as ideal for long periods of towing. Sure would be nice otherwise though.

Anyways, just my $.02.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter
    I agree, I would take a 2500 dodge quad cab, 6spd, diesel, 4x4 model over a Tundra double cab. The main reason I was considering a Tundra over a dodge was cost. I dunno how it is out west, but around here, a '05 Tundra double cab 4x4 can easily be found for under 15,000. I've seen several 2WD models go for 11-12k. The Dodge diesels are worth way more than that around here. That's why I would probably end up buying a Tundra.
    Just looking around on AutoTrader (it might not be a good representation of used car prices in your area), '05 Tundra Double Cab 4x4's with under 100k miles are priced around $15-$16k, I only see one listed under $15k at $14,900. 2004 Dodge Quad-Cab 4x4's can be found in the 17's and 18's, up into the 20's depending on options. So for about $2k more, you can have a full-size quad cab long-bed diesel.

Examples of trucks priced similarly with similar mileage-

Tundra Example: 2005 Tundra Quad-Cab 4x4- $16,831
    Dodge Example: 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4- $16,780

Tundra Example: 2005 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Double Cab Limited- $17,900
    Dodge Example: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab Diesel- $18,500

For what it's worth, you can find 2004 Ford F-250 quad-cab 4x4's for similar prices as well, but the Chevy/GMC Duramaxes are significantly more expensive.

Granted the Tundra's in the $16's and $17's might have fancier options like leather seats and navigation and such, but I would take a diesel engine over leather seats and doo-dads any day of the week.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

I refuse to buy a dodge, I hate them and chrysler thru and thru. Never have I seen such a piss poor built vehicle. If you do buy one, rip the trans out and have it rebuilt with all HD stuff and maybe it will last.

I honestly prefer a pre-super duty 7.3L ford 250 or srw (single rear wheel) 350. Both incredibly capable trucks, and both will last. The auto is kinda a slouch (as in any HD truck), but the ford C6 is very strong. The 7.3L powerstroke or non PS will last and last and last. At last count my friends shop has a F450 super duty (its a flatbed) that can tow dang well for its size (does my 10,000lb +loaded work truck do it for ya?) and the engine at last count has oh like 400k on it with NO rebuild?

I agree cummins motors (yes its cummins, not cummings!) are very good, sadly the rest of the truck is junk.

As for the chevy/gmc, good trucks but crappy front IFS and not as HD imho as the ford or even the dodge.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I have the 4.7 in the cruiser and I've towed a Jeep CJ7 and an Acura Legend Sedan each on U-haul heavy-ass flatbed trailers through the mountains of KY and TN and it did fine. I wouldn't want to do it all the time with it, but for occasional towing, the 4.7 shined. I bet the 5.7 would be a dream doing the same thing...
    -andy

Missed this while the eye was down.

The links with prices for mileage and comparable parts is interesting. At the time I got mine, I could get a lot more TRUCK for the money getting a diesel, but I sacrificed dailly drivability, higher total mileage and comfort. Getting the Tundra I did gave me more truck, as in less mileage on the rig comparable year to comparable year.

Last weekend we had 3-4k in a dual axled Uhaul trailer heading down to the mountains. Because of some careless driving by people who were not me and having no brake controller, the front brakes are warped and we got 12 mpg going reasonably on the hills. Both the drivers were used to driving big diesels with lighter loads and a brake controller.

That being said, the other 315 days out of the year when I'm carrying 1-4 people and racing gear, I love the truck.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12